Imagine bumping into this guy...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tara said:
Actually the Sea Lions are going to have to get in line behind the Moose that are stalking me right now. Only one murderous species of wild animals at a time please.

Well, one's basically a land animal and the other's a marine animal - so that technically leaves you with one "murderous species" stalking you at any given time. :lol:

:sad-p: I just realized this as well... there is no safe place left.

This is an earwig!
earwig_adultmale.jpg

I meant to say *THAT* flies.. but yeah, flies is icky.

That is... in fact.. and earwig. :puke: I find them in my bathroom in the summer.

At least they're not as big as cockroaches. When I lived in Alabama, the roaches were huge. I'd stay up late on the computer, and a couple of times they came running for me. Scared the crud outta me. And they get seriously huge.

Tara said:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
*Puts down her sandwich*
ew...... that doesn't look remotely like a wig for your ear. :lol:

Ha ha, you don't have earwigs where you are?
Earwigs are icky my bf is terrified of them the myth is that they crawl into human ears and lay thier eggs :shock: (it's not true but they do hide there looking for darkness)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earwig they are pretty harmless but icky nonetheless :D

chicky82 said:
Earwigs are icky my bf is terrified of them the myth is that they crawl into human ears and lay thier eggs

Actually, they enter your body through your ear and then burrow into your brain before they lay their eggs (that's how the story goes... :shock: ). :crazy2:

moon said:
At least they're not as big as cockroaches. When I lived in Alabama, the roaches were huge. I'd stay up late on the computer, and a couple of times they came running for me. Scared the crud outta me. And they get seriously huge.

I don't know how big the cockroaches are in Alabama, but they sure grow them huge in Honduras!

My father was on a mission with the UN and was based in Honduras. We went to see him for a few weeks and stayed in his ground floor apartment. Behind the apartment was a swimming pool that was surrounded by a tall brick wall.

Each night, huge, monstrous cockroaches crawled out of holes in the wall. I'd shine my flashlight on them and they'd go scurrying back to their holes. Obviously, I had a lot of time on my hands at night! :wink:

The cockroaches in Texas are giant-can't-kill-mutant-alien-demon spawn! And they FLY! Those suckers fly right into your face when you try to spray them. Some of them violate apartments' size and weight limit restriction on pets! :shock:

I've seen many cockroaches, but I've yet to see one fly. The giant-can't-kill-mutant-alien-demon spawn cockroaches sound pretty nasty - especially if they're flying on an intercept course with you! :D

Just be glad you don't live in Australia - that's where the world's largest cockroaches live. They're sometimes called rhinoceros cockroaches, but the actual name is giant burrowing cockroach and I've heard that some people keep them as pets.

I've also heard that earwigs have wings and can fly, but I've never seen that either.

I only saw one cockroach fly.. it scared the crap outta me and I ran away screaming... so I don't even know what it did. It wasn't aiming for me, but I wasn't about to have it change flight paths on me. :?

I grew up with the flying cockroaches. I swear, they fight back when you try to kill them! I was terrified of them when I was a kid. I would run crying downstairs and make my dad come kill it for me if I saw one. They still give me the MAJOR willies! *shiver*

I totally can't watch Creepshow! *shudder shiver shake*

OMG, she's so not kidding!

I grew up in Missouri, where only "dirty" people had cockroaches. The biggest ones I had ever seen were probably still less than an inch long, and I thought THAT was bad enough...

fast forward a few years...when I moved to Dallas, I swear to you, I thought there was a flappin' 747 landed outside my new apartment, but no...come to find out, it was a frickin' frackin' COCKROACH!!! You should have seen the screaming and general mayhem that ensued. It didn't take me even a minute to make it down 3 flights of stairs and into the manager's office, demanding the immediate return of my deposit and first month's rent. It was only then I found out that these are a species known as wood roaches, and they exist EVERYWHERE in Texas, regardless of cleanliness. Nauseating!!

That same stupid "little" bugger took up residence right outside my door, and I swear on my life, he considered it home! I was half considering charging him a portion of the rent, but I hear they're just bums anyway...

are those the ones we see people put leashes on and carry with them? I saw one as a roach brooch :D it has little jewels on it's head :lol: the pet of the future!!!! :p

chicky82 said:
are those the ones we see people put leashes on and carry with them? I saw one as a roach brooch :D it has little jewels on it's head :lol: the pet of the future!!!! :p

I'm guessing the one you're thinking about is the giant burrowing cockroach because I think some people even keep them as pets.

It looks different than any of the cockroaches I've ever seen...
macropanesthia_rhinoceros_2.jpg

Lucky8773 said:
That same stupid "little" bugger took up residence right outside my door, and I swear on my life, he considered it home! I was half considering charging him a portion of the rent, but I hear they're just bums anyway...

Like most cockroaches, he was probably only interested in the nightlife! :D If he was that big, though, you're lucky your landlord didn't charge you extra for having a rommate! :lol:

We dont really have roaches in AK, except for what people bring up with them in thier boxes and stuff.... The pet roach, actually doesn't creep me out. He just looks like a really shiny beetle. And I kinda like beetles. I used to catch the black water beetles and keep them in jars. :D

*though... the skittering around in the dark thing would creep me out a bit.

We rented out an apartment on the top floor in one of the houses I used to live in. One of our tenants was a man from India and he used to bring home all kinds of exotic foods that he had ordered.

A while after he moved in, our home became infested with cockroaches. We had never had them before so we assumed that a couple of them might've hitched a ride with our tenant's food order. An entomologist identified them as German cockroaches - which we learned are the most common type of cockroach.

My mother and I worked like crazy for days to get rid of these things with no success. The cockroaches were into everything. They even managed to squeeze inside the clock on the oven. They nested in my mother's box of recipe cards and anywhere else they could find. Finally, we realized that we were losing the battle to get rid of these things. We called in an exterminator.

The exterminator told us that the German cockroach is very difficult to eradicate because each egg case laid contains something like eight new cockroaches. The adults go out to feed and the young eat the droppings of the adults.

I noted one really interesting thing about these insects. Each time I sprayed a bunch of them with insecticide, it appeared that the adults raced toward me - and ultimately to their deaths - while the young raced away. It actually appeared that the adults were sacrificing themselves for their young. Of course, I can't say for certain that was what was really happening, but it sure looked that way to me.

The exterminator applied one or two globs of insecticide anywhere he felt the cockroaches were likely to find them. The globs looked just like Rosebuds - the chocolate candy.

Within a week, all of the cockroaches were gone and we never saw a single one after that.

While I was in Honduras, I stayed in several hotels throughout the country. The whole time I was in the country, I only found one cockroach inside a building and that was in the most expensive of all the hotels we stayed in.

I guess that shows that cockroaches don't discriminate. They'll take up residence in the dirtiest and the cleanest places any time they're given the opportunity!

Back