I'm pretty sure you guys are right

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePokemonMaster

So, I joined a new rat forum today, just to broaden my horizons, I guess. One thing I've noticed there is that taking your rats everywhere on your shoulder is a perfectly fine idea to a few people. It was kind of tempting to try out, however, I'm pretty sure you guys would give a resounding NO, and most you you are pretty experienced. I'm kind of glad I came here first.

I guess it depends where you're going. Around the house, sure. Outdoors? Heck no. They could startle and bolt and be gone forever or run over by a car or eaten by a dog. And you know we warn against having them on your shoulder outside where a hawk could swoop in and take them. Nope, too many risks. Those people forget that no matter how well behaved their rat is, they are still animals and prone to unpredictable moments. Way too risky...

I think some people take their own wants (Having a shoulder rat going with me to Walmart is so bad ***!)and put it over what's actually safe.

Last edited:
Some people do not see pets first and foremost as living creatures. People sometimes love the *idea* of a certain pet more than they truly loving the pet itself. If that makes sense.

Last edited:
I sometimes will let my boys play on my parents' porch in their playpen, but only when I'm watching and only because it's roofed. And occasionally I will carry them (one at a time) to have a minute or two of fresh air on nice days while I check the mail or something. But as much as I'd like to take them with me places, it's just too risky (and they honestly aren't going to even enjoy it; most rats are homebodies.)

I used to be an active member on there but have abandoned it. It has become a place that has a LOT of very bad, even dangerous information, so I honestly would advise finding another forum. Let me know if you want some decent alternatives.
I would like that.

Then the only ones I can recommend are here, and Goosemoose. Goose is a HUGE community with a ton of information, but there are also a lot of idiots who can be rude and nasty to newcomers. If you are just wanting to read posts rather than post questions, its a fantastic place for learning and info. I can help you navigate it if you want to post...introduce yourself, let them know you are a member on the Rat Shack, etc. You would put up a welcome post on Rat Tails. If you want to just read posts for now, you can do it as a guest, but if you want to post you will need to become a member.

http://www.goosemoose.com/rfc/index.php

I like goosemoose too-they seem reasonable and civil. Ratforum I have also abandoned. I didn't even leave because of the stream of poor information. I left because people on there are RUDE!!

Pokemon and Tembla, you are both absolutely correct on your posts, I agree. Well said. I have only very rarely taken my boys outside and the couple of times I did do it, it was just to give THEM a nice sensation of cool breeze, nice smells, some sunshine, but it was a very controlled situation.

Just a few steps out the back patio door of our townhouse, standing on the grass with them in our small backyard for just a few minutes and securely holding them in my arms. Then back inside. As Tembla said, way too many risks and dangers for a ratty outdoors. I would never risk full on outings all over the place with our babies, especially doing it via the shoulder riding bit.... with the precarious balancing act that the poor bub has to work on just to keep from falling off. Not cool in my book. (Also I am overprotective x12 so that just adds to my opinion of course, ha ha)

Walking through a Wal-Mart with a ratty on one's shoulder? Insane, dangerous, probably very scary for the rat and something that is definitely done for the satisfaction of the human, not the rat, as you pointed out, Pokemon. :(

(I also noticed that on the rare occassions I have taken my boys out back for some fresh air (one at a time, in my arms) they normally start pointing their bodies and noses back toward the patio door after a few quick minutes of sniffing the breeze, as if they are saying, "Yeah, that was nice, Mom, but now I am ready to get back inside!" ;)

Last edited:
I sometimes will let my boys play on my parents' porch in their playpen, but only when I'm watching and only because it's roofed. And occasionally I will carry them (one at a time) to have a minute or two of fresh air on nice days while I check the mail or something. But as much as I'd like to take them with me places, it's just too risky (and they honestly aren't going to even enjoy it; most rats are homebodies.)

Blue, I 100 percent agree!

Before I got my babies, I thought I would be able to walk them on a harness. But thankfully, I learned the truth before I tried, because I researched it just in case.

Back