Im new here

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yashmakca

Hi all - not sure yet how to use this forum, but I guess I will learn as I go along. I just recently got 2 male rats for my 16-year old son and we love them. They have so much character and love people. One of my concerns is that I read a lot about letting them out to run around cardboard boxes, but we are so afraid they will get away and we won't be able to get them back. Any advice would be great. These rats have tons of energy and look like they really need to get out of the cage and explore and run.

:hello3: and welcome to the shack. You will find as your rats get used to spending time with you, they will actually run towards you not away from you. Until you are comfortable, bring them in a room with a door and let them investigate their surroundings.

hello and welcome!!
you will find almost all the answers to your rat related questions, right here, at the tip of your fingers :)

some people do connect some cardboard panels together and make a play pen for the rats, you just have to supervise them to make sure, like you said, that they don't get away.

another option is a Martin's play pen
picture stolen from SQ :stickpoke:
rattiesintheplaypen.jpg

thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11457

browse around & enjoy :thumbup:

I used a table for my rats, one they can own for ever... Since they will chew it. it worked perfectly for me for a long time. Corrugated plastic zipped tied as a play pen works well too.

Welcome to the forum and cant wait to see photos. Nice to see another parent who fell in love with their kid's pets!

jorats said:
You could start off by letting the rats run around on your bed. It's a great way to interact with them.
By the way, welcome!
Actually, before I set up a "rat room", this is what we did. Then we graduated to the bathroom before the final bedroom destination.

Welcome to the Shack. At our last apartment we had a whole hallway to use for out time. We got a baby gate and put it up at one end, shut all the doors and let em run.

thanks so much to everyone for their resonse, I am sorry I didn't respond earlier, but I couldn't find where I had posted. Like I said, I am new to this forum and learning how to use it. We have been letting the rats out on the bed periodically, they are so cute, but very busy and very fast. We will learn to build something as time goes on as we are limited to space in my son's room. The rats are becoming attached to me because I spend a lot of time with them. Thanks all again and I look forward to reading all your posts and seeing your pictures.

Back