I'm new and I need a bit of help.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indignantwhiskers

Hey everyone. I'm an experienced rat owner but I've never really bothered with training. I'd like to litter box train my boys though because their cage gets really messy really quickly and I'd like to make things a little bit more hygienic for them.

I DO NOT CARE ABOUT MARKING! That is not the issue here.

They poop all over their shelves which makes it difficult to clean up after then. I.E. They don't just poop in their bedding. Does anyone have suggestions for a good process I could use to effectively train my babies?

They'll be getting a new cage soon (a double critter nation). They are a little bit older (not babies) so they do get very stubborn. Any advice you could give would be great!

I'm IndignantWhiskers on Tumblr so you can talk to me there as well.

We have 2 DCN and each have 3 corner liter boxes in them. The boys pretty much knew to poop in them (how, I don't know), but when they don't we spoon it up and put it into the liter boxes. We use paper cat liter in the boxes and fleece on the trays. They still pee just about where every they want. Hope that helps.

Welcome!

re the question:
Put the litter boxes in the areas where they have decided to use as toilets ... usually corners (High backed corner litter boxes work well) and at the bottom of ladders.
I also use a unscented paper based kitty litter in the litter boxes.
You can put stray poop into the liter boxes.
Also give them a treat, like 1 organic puffed wheat, when you catch them in the litter box.

Hopefully they will soon decide to use litter boxes most or all of the time for bowel movements.

Oh yea, I forgot about the treat and praise thing - we did that too when we saw them in their and they did their "business"

How many rats do you have that you need three litter boxes? I mean, mine fill up their one pretty quickly but emptying it once a day still seems to work. Not that they're completely trained but I'm trying. And... I don't know if they're just so excited to see me or if they're self conscious but they don't seem to want to poop in front of me. I.e. the praise thing isn't something I've been able to do.

I have found the easiest way is to first see where they poop, and then put the litter pans in that spot. Use something like Yesterday's News that is not used anywhere else in their cage, so they don't have any type of association with the litter. Then pick up all the poop and put it in the litter box. Keep picking up all the poop and putting it in the litter box every day. After a while they will associate the litter and poop, and will hopefully start pooping in the litter boxes. I have a DCN and have seven different litter pans. They especially need one close to their favorite sleeping spot, as they will get up out of bed to go, but don't want to have to walk too far. LOL
They are not 100%, but do pretty well!

They don't have any one spot that they use. At all. They're kind of slobs! :p I did take all the litter out of the cage except what's in the litter tray. I've been putting all the poop in the tray for one day. I dunno if they're really picking it up but it's only been a day but they are older and stubborn. It's a bit frustrating but they're smart so I'm sure they'll pick it up!

Back