I'm looking for help on Zymbals Gland Tumors

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lilspaz68 said:
I remember someone telling me :scratch: that Ontario (Canadian?) vets cannot get Cefa anymore. :scratch:

I heard something similar from the Vancouver, BC area. I checked and it's still available in the US, so not sure if it was just a shortage, or a permenant thing in Canada.

A few years back, I got it for my cat. Is it under another name perhaps... and why would it not be available in Canada anymore... weird.

I think it has a few names, Cefa being the brand name. Cefadroxil is the one I know. I want to say I think it's also Cefalexin or Cefalasporine maybe too?

We get ours in powder form and reconstitute is as we need it. Sadly, it's one that only lasts 2 weeks. But we have about 60mls on hand at any given time. :wink2:

Tooey's Diet
A mix of:
Total Cereal Flakes
Lowfat Granola cereal
Puffed Wheat
Puffed Rice
Dried Cranberries
Rolled Oats
Tri colored pasta (uncooked)
Wheat pasta (uncooked)
A few veggie puffs, and
Nutro Lite dog food (makes up only 1/5 of total diet)

I supplement with bananas, grapes, carrots, corn, blueberries, apple, pears, and sweet potatoe
and sometimes cooked pasta

For a treat I give a nibble of bread with peanut butter (about twice a week) and the occassional taste from whatever I'm eating (pretty rarely)

I was filling a big bowl of the dry mix and letting him free feed. When I took him to the vet a month ago, he weighed 730 grams, two days ago he weighed 761 grams. He gained 31 grams in 30 days *very embarrassed*. I'm thinking that this is a little too much even though he's old. Do I just need to adjust the amount down?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Can you get or order in Harlan Teklad lab blocks (2014) and then give him the mix (no dog food) 2-3 times a week and then wean him down less and less? More lab blocks, less mix...

I would suggest the 2014 because of the low protein on aging kidneys.

Less fruit, more good veggies maybe? Try him on broccoli, or kale, peas are good, but carrots and bananas are high in sugars etc. I still do carrots and corn but not as often by far.

*laughing* well that would probably explain the love of carrots he has developed. I will research where to get the blocks from right away and today I will stop at the store for more veggies.

I tried giving him steamed sweet peas in the pod but he didn't want them. Do you suggest cooked frozen peas? He may dig those more.

What about green beans?

if he likes green beans go for it..most do, mine hate them :) Try for raw. Try baby spinach or spring mixes, try kale, brussel sprouts, corn occasionally, apples, blueberries are very good for them.

I bought my rats snow peas as a treat...wouldn't touch 'em :roll:

I make up a veggie mix for my crew and put it in oatmeal or in rice. More rice these days because of Molly's having tummy issues (happens to nursing momma's sometimes)

Bananas occasionally for the potassium, soy milk sometimes, definitely frozen thawed rather than cooked peas :)

I give my crews one baby carrot a week...perfectly rat sized for handing out :cheeky:

I'm lucky, my girls will eat pretty much any fruit or veg I throw at them... except raspberries. *rolls eyes* Broccoli, cauliflower, green/yellow beans, snow peas.. they get pretty much whatever veg we are having with dinner as long as it's not from a can. I just steal a few uncooked pieces before the cooking begins.

If you have an asian market or are in a fairly diverse area, bok choy always goes over as a huge hit with my kids.

I also like to keep a couple jars of baby food around, for the occasional time I just don't have anything fresh.

Try for brown or a more natural healthy rice. I only have white at home, but its not as good for them by far. I'll be picking up brown again next time I am at the store.

Ooho bok choy! raw Moon?

As much as they LOVE peanut butter, I would advise against giving it. It has been known to cause choking. I don't have any personal experience with that, just what I've read.

They can choke on just about anything sticky. I learned the hard way to dry out our pizza crust overnight before giving as treats. Ratties LOVE pizza crust. But I've seen three separate choking incidents with it. (yeah, you'd think I would have learned, but didn't realize until the third episode what caused it). And let me tell you from a very scarey experience, bready foods (like pizza crust) and soymilk...BAD combo. Luckily, I haven't lost anyone to choking yet...but was a very close call.

Thank you everyone for all the diet help. I did not know about the chocking hazards so I appreciate the info. I will check out the rat city rescue site for blocks. Can rats eat peanuts or almonds?

Yes, they can. Mine love hazelnuts and even walnuts.....and they double as toys, because they have to work to get at the goodies inside.

I got a call from my vet's office today asking how Tooey was doing. (I almost fell off my chair, they used to do this, but haven't in 2 or 3 years) Anyway, I told the vet tech what was going on, how there is still a little pus draining into the ear and that the lance healed shut despite my best efforts to keep it open, and that I was concerned about only having a weeks worth of antibiotics. I asked if they could check with the doc about getting a more. The doc won't be in until 1pm so we'll see what happens.

My vet did call me back and she said that she wants me to use up the antibiotics which should last until Saturday, and then call her on Monday with an update and then she'll see about putting him back on the antibiotics. She wants to use them in pulses (7 days on, 3-5 days off) so that we don't cause any intestinal upset. So far the rat poop has remained solid and the abscess has not filled back up, it just drains a little bit still so I remain optimistic. He's such a little champ, not phased by anything.

Hopefully, he'll be good and healed up after 7 days on the meds. I personally would not use the pulse method on a rat....especially if you ever have any respiratory problems.

Gut upset is very easy to manage in rats too. Especially with Acidopholus. We get the gelatin capsules from the healthfood store (same stuff you pay twice as much for at a vet clinic) and sprinkle half of one into something yummy (baby food works great). And it does wonders! But as far as Baytril is concerned, I've only had 2 rats who ever had a problem with it. Our Sophie is on a higher does to help manage her respiratory/CHF issues. And we had one girl that would lose weight whenever you put her on it. Took me a few rounds to realize it was upsetting her tummy.

I'm so glad to hear Mr. Tooey is doing better!

Back