Im disgusted..

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anita1216

Can someone please just help me understand the total lack of care about rats? I frequent a cat site and a girl was asking about advice on what to do with an extra rat she had..yes the first was fed to a snake :cry4:

She wanted to know if it was ok to try and feed the poor thing to her cats..alive of course.

Come to find out the cats didnt want to bother and her ferret was not interested either...OMG Im so pissed and just frustrated with people :wallbang:

All of these people want to point out that rats are natural prey..blah blah blah Yes, I know that and I understand that in the wild. They act as though the rat is nothing more than a bag of food..as if it does not feel fear or pain.

The total disconnect just breaks my heart, makes me so angry I can hardly see straight. Its this kind of ignorance and crap attitude that just boggles my mind. :redhot:

Im going to get an alligator and I will feed it strictly puppies and kittens...I will make sure everyone knows Im a live feeder, let's see how long it takes for the authorities to fine me, jail me or whatever. Im going to mass breed a few cats and dogs, keep them in tiny cages and breed them until they are completely exhausted. I need newborns and young babies to feed my alligator. Hey they could be natural prey, why not?

Why not? because its cruel and I love puppies and kittens. I love rats and mice, even evil hammies. Just once I want someone to get it, to see my heart breaking, to understand that these so called "prey animals" deserve better.

I'm done with this rant, thank you for reading. :sad3:

Hope you can educate the other people on the site.
Doubt you will be able to educate the snake owner ... but you can try.

You might want to point out that not only is the situation not natural because of the situation ... rat can't escape, etc but also because ats are pets and have been bred to make good pets for over 100 years.

Hope you can find a rescue in her area to take the rat and convince her to give it to them ... or a shelter etc.
Poor little rattie ....

She already fed it to her snake :sad3:

She has been feeding live for 14 years. These people dont seem to want to be educated, they feel that rats are natural prey and I guess should be treated as such.

I think it is more a case of people who are into animal cruelty and have little or no empathy for others.

They really don't care much about what is "natural" - if they did, they would not keep captive bred wild animals (i.e. snakes) living in captivity ... usually in totally unsuitable, unnatural conditions. If they truly felt this way, they would not be creating a market for the breeding of more captive wild animals.

and if she cared about snakes at all, she would not live feed.

How natural is it when humans put two rats together to breed and then use these babies for food. Wild rats are natural prey, not domesticated rats.

I hate people sometimes.

I'm actually surprised that the cat people didn't jump on her for making that suggestion. I don't know too many true cat lovers who would stand to hear someone say they are going to try and feed their live, domestic rat to their cats - alive or dead. And if the snake gets big enough what's to stop her from deciding it's time for the cat to go??

(Its Anita1216 at a friends house !!!!!!)

Most of the people seemed to agree that it was ok to feed a rat to cat, it is what they eat naturally :wallbang: These people are into this whole prey/raw diet for cats and think this is the natural order of things. My cats would be totally confused with a live prey animal.

I really do understand the cycle and that rats are prey animals in the wild, but these are domestic rats, bred for pets. Ok so the mills breed for food, but you get my point.

There is one idiot that said he can feed four cats for 15 cents a day if he gets more breeding females(rats). He has a breeding pair now and feeds their young to his cats as pinkies and fuzzies- just kills me a little inside knowing someone is doing that.

They call it wanting the best for thier cats.....it just looks like nothing other than cruelty to me.

Anita1216, did you spell it out to this group of people how cruel & appalling they are being? Many cat lovers in the US freak out about cats being let out and them being hunted by coyotes (sp?). If you spell it out to them like that, than maybe, just maybe, they'll get it. Personally I would have gotten really angry with them and told them how disgusting they are to even be considering this and what a bunch of moronic hypocrites they are.

Which cat forum was it? Just out of curiosity. I'm not going to go and yell at them or anything. I use to frequent a cat forum. They were nice though, but some couldn't fully appreciate how it is cruel for cats to hunt mice etc. Most cat loving people were very concerned about all animal wellfare in general, not just cats.

ETA: I just read your last message. Seems like this whole live feeding of reptiles has now been extended to mammals. Why do people get off on this type of thing? It's demented and they justify it in their pea sized brains that it is natural and therefore good! :redhot: The very sad fact is that the people that do this are cruel, screwed up individuals and no amount of logic or explaining the cruelty of this will disuade them.

Animals in the "wild" do all sorts of "natural" things which actually lower their lifespan.
Just because wild animals do things does not make it necessarily good or healthy for them.
The life span of ferral cats is very short and often brutal .... who knows how much their "natural" diet contributes to this shortened lifespan.

Perhaps those people should start eating a more natural diet ... raw grubs, bettles, worms etc found under rocks and logs, the pine bark off trees, grasses, leaves etc. ... all uncooked of course

(Christians, etc believe that death came into the world after Adam & Eve sinned (according to the Bible) .... which means that the natural diet for everything is veg. People were not given permission to eat animals until after the flood. Of course, this is a whole other discussion.)

You know, this makes me as mad as can be.. but I think the real issue here is that these people don't get the difference between "wild" and "domesticated".
If they did, they would know that there is a reason we don't feed our animals other live animals when they are our pets. They would understand that there are very serious repercussions to "going back to nature" when you're not "from nature" in the beginning. Why is it that animals which have been in zoos and are to be released are treated in such a specific way and for such a long time before release to prepare them for the wild? Because they're not used to it. That's not their way of living. They need to be taught how to live in the wild. And guess what happens to those animals 9 times out of 10 after they are released into the wild from captivity of any kind? They die because they don't get it. They don't understand what they're supposed to do in the wild. Even with the "training" they got before they were let go.
Now, people would never want a real wild animal living in their house, but they are going to treat their pet like it is one? That's how people end up with mean pets. Ones that they can't go near because the pet has been trained by its master the way of living in the wild. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhh. I just want to knock these people's heads together and see what rattles!!!! Because there is OBVIOUSLY something loose. :redhot: (ps there is no emoticon on here mad enough for how I feel, but I guess this one will do)

As a side note, my cat is an outdoor cat and sometimes he does bring home "presents" for the family. We don't like it, but it is his nature, so we don't punish him severely for it either. We do punish/discourage him from doing it, though, because there are so many diseases he could catch from hunting and eating wild prey. My sister has actually even nursed back to health a small bird the cat failed to catch, but succeeded in injuring. I know some people use cats as rodent patrol when they live somewhere like on a farm. I don't have much issue with that, simply because it is how things work in the wild and those cats are not for friendly family pets (plus, they still eat regular cat chow, not just "vermin"). But those other people who do this on purpose, the wrong way and for all the wrong reasons just get under my skin. And why anyone would have a snake for a pet anyway is beyond me.
[schild=22,1,000000,C0C0C0:2q6pkhib]*shiver*[/schild:2q6pkhib]

But, I fear as upset as we are about this, it falls on dead ears and we will get nowhere. :treadmill:

:eek:fftopic:
Barn cats do not usually get fed much by people ... just scraps (garbage), do not usually get any vet care, live wild, have horrible and often short lives (I know of people who had/have barn cats ... not a decent life at all.)
... they do catch and eat mice, etc. but it doesn't make it ok or mean they are getting a good diet even if it is "natural".
... they are ferral cats and are prey for other animals.
Since they are domestic cats, they are not wild animals, even if their families have been ferral for many many geneations.

SQ said:
:eek:fftopic:
Barn cats do not usually get fed much by people ... just scraps (garbage), do not usually get any vet care, live wild, have horrible and often short lives (I know of people who had/have barn cats ... not a decent life at all.)
... they do catch and eat mice, etc. but it doesn't make it ok or mean they are getting a good diet even if it is "natural".
... they are ferral cats and are prey for other animals.
Since they are domestic cats, they are not wild animals, even if their families have been ferral for many many geneations.

I guess the types of people and their way with animals that we know are quite different. However, I am aware that what you say does often happen. Just not in my experience which is why I didn't comment on it that way. :(

One thing I have learned working at an animal shelter is most people who say they love animals really mean they love dogs and cats.......
It is a shame they can't realize that other animals can feel love, fear, etc......and that they can make wonderful companions.

Dahlas said:
One thing I have learned working at an animal shelter is most people who say they love animals really mean they love dogs and cats.......
It is a shame they can't realize that other animals can feel love, fear, etc......and that they can make wonderful companions.

So true Dahlas.

What does that say about people who are able to understand that if it hurts a cat/dog/human than it hurts other animals and isn't good. Personally I think that people who can extend their care & concern to animals outside of dogs, cats & people (humans being animals too) are far more intelligent than the average person, which, I am happy to say, applies to just about everyone on this forum.

Back