I'm allergic to rats!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EDK

Ya as the title states I think I may have discovered a small issue with me...being allergic to my little pets. Don't worry this isn't going to result in me giving them away or finding new homes for them. They are stuck with me muahahahaha! :inlove:

But yes I did just realize last week a little...issue I've always had with owning rats, but I thought it was a normal side effect to having such little angels, with sharp claws... So here's the thing:

When I take my little guys out to play, usually they do scratch me up a little bit. Nothing to draw blood mind you, its just in their nature to cling to me while I pick them up and move to a different location. However I noticed, just about every time they claw/scratch me... I get these bumps... Red, itchy bumps that usually don't go away for an hour at most. At first I thought it was equivilent to just annoying scratches and my skin is reacting to it normally. But one night my husband noticed the bumps and my itching and stopped me so he could look.

He being an expert on allergies since he practically lives with them every day...He realized the bumps were actually hives...My skin was having an allergic reaction to my ratties claws!!! This was quite a shocker for me. I'm not allergic to fur, or livestock like a few of my family members are. My niece is allergic to animal fur and sneezes violently and her eyes wet or dry out. My father (RIP) was so allergic to animals that if he got wind of livestock alone, his eyes would bleed from constant sneezing. I've never had a reaction like that ever to animals, there go I considered myself ok... But now I realize my skin apparently will react to the clawing.

At this point I'm not really asknig for advice here, the clear thing for me to do would just have a towl on my arms while I pick my ratties up so they don't scratch me as much, or wear a long sleeve shirt over my regular shirt....or continue to live with it, which I've already am doing lol. I'm sure theres medicines to deal with hives but I can't be bothered...especially when these hives don't last long, an hour tops. Sure they are itchy and its annoying but again they don't last long.

I just find it funny I didn't realize it till my husband had to point it out lol

Just get benedryl cream. How are you guys and the four legged children doing? Enjoying the new house? Didn't the in laws just visit? How was that?

Everyone gets those from the urine that rats have on their claws. :)
Just a bit of cold water makes them go away.

I get them as well but I have super sensitive skin..happens even with a dog scratch or my husbands facial hair also sets my skin off lol...Stupid flesh! I just wipe with cold water and in 20-30 minutes it stops itching and the swelling goes down.

I am allergic to my rats too. I used to get hives/welts but I take an antihistamine daily so that has resolved. I still sneeze though!

I wash the scratches with soap and water afterwards. And that helps. Benadryl cream would be good, too. I am probably going to start wearing a face mask when cage cleaning. My allergies don't bother me when I pick up the ratties for a cuddle.

Same here. I'm in the rat allergy club. I get hives and my asthma acts up but I have my Symbicort for that. haha I do rinse my hives under cold water and that seems to help a lot.

/joins club/
So many of us are allergic!
My skin is like paper though. I get red and itchy and hives. I don't do anything about it though, I'm used to my skin acting up. XD

I am happy to say I am not allergic to my rats! I was even tested for it at my allergist a few months ago. Yay me! Hope all you guys feel better though

Just get benedryl cream. How are you guys and the four legged children doing? Enjoying the new house? Didn't the in laws just visit? How was that?

We hate this new house so its only temporary however we are SICK of moving too...so meh... Not much choice here :cry4:

The ratties though are doing well, next month will be Q and Discord's first birthday yippiee!!! However I have started to notice that Lyra has a tumor growing on her left side under her arm. It's not making her uncomfortable though so I'm going to leave it alone, only resorting to getting it removed if it becomes too much of an issue or painful. She's over 2yrs old now and her third birthday is about 8months away giver take...If she hangs in there she'll be my orginal guys on the age department!

The inlaws did in fact visit! That went well though it was a struggle between work, and entertaining them and not having any time for ourselves me and the hubby :stickpoke:but still I'm glad they came. It was a sad goodbye and we miss them already. Can only hope next time they come down we'll better entertain them for their stay.

LOL as for the rest of you ladies I don't feel so alone anymore hehe! Cold water on the bumps, I'll certaintly give it a try. But what can I say, sometimes cuteness is pain!

Back