I'm 60 yrs old, had ratties for 20 yrs, and still can't out-think a year-old rat.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fidget

My Fry has a tube I hook up to his cage-shelf in the bedroom when I get up in the morning. It goes around the corner into a cage in the living room, there's a board in the bedroom doorway so he can't escape the bedroom if he should fall off the shelf in there, as his cages are always left open. It's been great for him to be where I am if he wants to. :)
A few days ago I found him on the living room floor, :confused: I checked the tube for holes but didn't find any, got busy and forgot about it.
Next day he was on the floor again, I did a major scrutiny of the tube thinking I'd missed a hole, found none. So I watched him, of course he KNEW I was watching and didn't do it.. :mad:
It was driving me nuts! Today I was tiptoing around, peeking around corners, and I caught him!
I was wracking my brain for days, it was simple for him. He just climbed on top of the tube and jumped off where it was on the floor... Duh! 20 yrs I've been having to out-think their escapes with every new cage setup change, or just a different kid in same setup.....
You'll NEVER out-think them, you'll just finally catch on, until they out-think you again! :p
Last picture is my fix... we'll see how long that lasts til he outfoxes me again...
Fry tube 1 living room.JPG
Fry tube 2.JPG
Fry tube 3.JPG
Fry tube 4 bedroom.JPG
Fry tube 5 fix.JPG

Last edited:
My Fry has a tube I hook up to his cage-shelf in the bedroom when I get up in the morning. It goes around the corner into a cage in the living room, there's a board in the bedroom doorway so he can't escape the bedroom if he should fall off the shelf in there, as his cages are always left open. It's been great for him to be where I am if he wants to. :)
A few days ago I found him on the living room floor, :confused: I checked the tube for holes but didn't find any, got busy and forgot about it.
Next day he was on the floor again, I did a major scrutiny of the tube thinking I'd missed a hole, found none. So I watched him, of course he KNEW I was watching and didn't do it.. :mad:
It was driving me nuts! Today I was tiptoing around, peeking around corners, and I caught him!
I was wracking my brain for days, it was simple for him. He just climbed on top of the tube and jumped off where it was on the floor... Duh! 20 yrs I've been having to out-think their escapes with every new cage setup change, or just a different kid in same setup.....
You'll NEVER out-think them, you'll just finally catch on, until they out-think you again! :p
Last picture is my fix... we'll see how long that lasts til he outfoxes me again...
View attachment 10678 View attachment 10679 View attachment 10680 View attachment 10681 View attachment 10682

Haha you just never know with these little guys, do you:rolleyes:

Back