ideas for rat proofing my room?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PartyLemur

My girls are little escape artists and I have proofed the room before, but the always find a way to get into heaters, crawl under things and such. I have tried cardboard and blankets, but they don't let that get in their way. (looking at you, Shammy!) Thanks in advance!

What kind of room is it? Rats have about a 3-4 foot vertical jump so any attempt at an enclosure must be higher than that if the space can't be ratproofed.
Working on recall is necessary in a space which can't be completely closed off. Use small treats (corn, peas, cheerios) and call their name then use the treat as a reward. If they wander too far, call back, reward. Rats are brilliant and will learn fast. However, they are also curious and may want to explore. If they fall asleep somewhere cozy, they may not come when you call.

You can also try using a couch as play space so you will notice if someone wanders off. Or the bathroom, just be sure to clean the floor and let it completely dry and the scent (vinegar is safest) to dissipate thoroughly.

If it comes down to it, you could also try a large critter ball, like the size for ferrets, to get exercise out of the cage.

Do not use a critter ball because:
1. They do not have enough air flow and rats overheat and die in them
2. Being trapped inside a ball is not fun for rats (or any other small animal)
3. Rats need to get out and play in a rat safe area, where they can run and climb and explore and interact with you.

For ideas, please check out the links regarding play areas in the reference thread https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/reference-thread-read-only.35894/

Someone suggested those balls to me in the past and I thought oh my god, they are awful. Whoever invented something like this? Imagine trying to move froward whist being trapped. It must be quite traumatic.

My girls are little escape artists and I have proofed the room before, but the always find a way to get into heaters, crawl under things and such. I have tried cardboard and blankets, but they don't let that get in their way. (looking at you, Shammy!) Thanks in advance!

I would suggest that you use overlapping 3 ft high chloroplast panels (attached with cable ties or stick on Velcro) to create a safe play area - as seen in the play areas posted in links in the Reference Thread
- do not have things in their play area that are unsafe or that you do not want them to get into, or under, or chew
put toys in their play area, shelters, tubes, things to explore or go into such as a cardboard box with a hole cut into 3 sides and a hole in the top - for doorways, put crumpled paper such as packing paper or newsprint (ink needs to be vegetable based so it is safe) inside the box for them to burrow into.
- you will be inside the play area for them to climb on, cuddle with, interact, etc

Back