Ideas for homemade platforms/ramps?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicodemusRattus

Went out and bought another cage today, this time for my Boy Squad. It probably won't be their permanent cage, but it'll do until I buy them the CritterNation I'm wanting. They hit 3 months old recently and they're growing like weeds lol. The reason I don't really like this new cage is because the platforms/ramps are made of wood. I realize this won't last long, since boys love to "mark their territory" and the wood will be pretty gross within the first week or two I imagine. I figure I'll be able to wash it for a little bit, but wood can only be washed so much, so I'm sort of in a hurry to get them some new platforms somewhere or make them some homemade platforms. I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for the best type of materials to use for the platforms and ramps? I'm not the best at crafting things lol, so I'm trying to find something that's safe and easy to work with. I prefer to look for some type of non-toxic plastic, the platforms in their sisters cage are all plastic and it's so much easier to clean. Metal is also an option but if I'm going to be making these myself I'm trying not to go for anything too complicated lol.

You can buy plastic bird ladders that make acceptable ramps for young rats. Older ones would have trouble getting up a ladder.

You can even order ramps for the CN cages, and I'm sure that martinscages.com would make you ramps at a reasonable price.

For helves I use plastic bins adn tubs, also wire backing trays covered in coroplast . ust get creative! I used ot have homeade shelves in all my cages ( til CN which doesnt alow for that) it is sooo much fun to customize the space and I get bored with the CN layout to be honest

For shelves, I have used sturdy cooking cooling racks covered with dollar store dish drain trays cut to fit and cable tied on.

for example:

019.jpg

020.jpg

014.jpg

023.jpg

Like what Cinderwolf said plastic storage bins especially the lids make good DIY shelves, the plastic is soft enough to cut through with a saw or even score it with a craft knife bend it and it should snap, just make sure to sand down any rough edges. To attach to the cage you can drill small holes to the corners/middle and attach to the wire cage with zip ties.
Good luck you should show us what you come up with.

I had wooden shelves and this is what I have come up with. The good cooking racks I bought are too big for this cage so I used these. I will see how the new boys like it tomorrow
6e7ysunu.jpg

Back