I think Yoda is dying(updates April 14)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She hasn't wanted to eat anything today but she seems really active for some reason, she was climbing out of the cage when I opened the door so I put her on the floor to run around and she was able to climb up on the bed. It seems she changes all the time...sometimes she doesn't move for hours, sometimes shes more active....sometimes she won't eat all day and then other times she will stuff her face *sigh*. I have no idea whats going on with her right now so I guess I'll just have to wait and see as time progresses.

I think its so weird that earlier this week she was really bad, which is why I made this post in the first place, and then that same day she happened to perk up alot....silly girl.

How old is your little lady Bruxxy?

If she has reached a ripe little rat age then she may, very well, be shutting down. Whether or not you have her pts depends solely on whether or not you can handle watching a loved one decline. :rose:

I am always a mess when my rats die but, unless they are suffering and in serious pain, I try to let them die in the comfort and safety of their own home.

I do not want to throw a towel over the possibility of her reviving but her sudden burst of energy may be an indication of her last fling with you. Jerry did that to me the day before he died. He actually had me believing that he was going to make it. He was all over the place... playing, exploring, popcorning and wanting to be anywhere I was. :heart:

Because of this, his death the next day hit me really hard. I do not want you, as a Rat Shack friend, to suffer the same kind of shock and disbelief I suffered while, at the same time, grieving the loss of my precious boy. I want you to have everything possible to work with so that any, possible, change for the worse, does not leave you dealing with the pain of disbelief. :hugs:

Yoda is about 30 months right now.

I'm so sorry to hear about your Jerry. Thats so strange that he was so lively the day before he passed. I've never seen that happen before with any of my rats....they always showed really major signs of decline right before passing.

So far shes still doing good. Shes alert and her eyes are bright. Its just the lack of food intake thats most concerning for me. Her breathing isn't good but its better than before so the meds are obviously working now.

My girl Vesper is taking excellent care of her too which is great to see. Shes always sleeping with her and grooming her and I really think thats helping Yoda to feel more comfortable.

What about NutriCal?
I know I had used it at one point when Hunter was declining...
I think basically its an energy packed easily digestable syrup-like substance which they may use for kittens who are failing to thrive etc.
I doubt it is in any way shape or form a complete diet but it may help give her an extra boost nutrient wise?

So I've been home all week since I sprained my ankle, which in a way was good since I was able to monitor Yoda and spend time with her.

After watching her all week, I've made the difficult decision to not try to bring her back. She's just too weak and all the meds and constant efforts to force feed her are stressing her out way too much, which I can only imagine are bringing her down even more. I've accepted that shes old and is towards the end of her life...I'm sure she knows it too because she is acting different.

So I've brought her meds down to just once a night to keep her comfortable and to atempt to feed her in the morning and at night. She seems to be alot happier and more willing to eat when I do feed her instead of trying to feed her 6 times a day when she doesn't want to eat.

Sounds like you are doing the right thing. Might as well make her last days as peaceful as possible. I'm sorry to hear that you are going through this, so it is good that you can be home with her.

It is such a hard choice to make. I wish our babies could live forever (or at least the lifespan of ,say, a dog!), they go too soon.

You gave Yoda a wonderful, loving life.

Back