I think Yoda is dying(updates April 14)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruxxy

Recently I took Yoda to see Dr.Munn for a URI. Now I'm beginning to think that the URI was just the beginning signs of her body starting to shut down.

I have her on baytril/doxy twice a day but she just doesn't seem to want to eat. She won't eat her blocks and has little or no interest in the baby food I offer her...which is something she used to go crazy for.

The sides of her body are really sunken in and shes just skin and bones. She is hydrated cuz I check her skin often but she barely moves and doesn't eat unless I use gentle force to get some food into her....even then, I'm lucky if I can get her to open her mouth.

It's always so hard to have to make the decision to help them go but I'm usually pretty good at deciding when its time. But to be honest, I'm really confused as to what to do with her. I really would like some honest advice. Should I put her down or should I just wait and see what happends with the meds? Shes been on the meds for a week and I know from experience that if the meds are going to work then there is usually a change within the first few days. I know deep down the meds won't totally fix her cuz her body just isn't strong enough but I also don't want to give up on her incase there is a chance she will come through and live a few more months.

I am sorry bruxxy, but it sounds like she is shutting down. Your sweet old lady's immune system cannot fight anymore even with the abs.
She doesn't sound happy at all, so you might want to make that decision for her if you can.

((hugs))

It does sound like your sweetie is naturally declining.
When this happens with my rats, I certainly don't feel a need or a rush to have them pts. They are uncomfortable but I truly believe they are not in pain. Most of my rats with chronic URI stay with me till the end. The only time I feel they need to be pts, is when they are panicking and can't settle down.
I've talked to my vet about this and she believes letting the animal pass at home is normal and natural and we should intervene only when we see the animal is clearly in a panic or severe pain.

You know your girly best...

All i can think of to add is please dont think that you're 'giving up on her' if you feel it would be in her best interest to be pts.
When we had Thompy pts we knew it was his time - he wasnt himself anymore, he didnt want to eat (which was not like Thompson at all), he didnt want to move, but more importantly his eyes told Brian and I - and we both came to the decision on our own - and when we finally discussed it we both knew what the other ment...

Please give her some cuddles from the gang over here

Thats really great advice Jo. Thanks. Its been a while since I let any of my rats go naturally and I guess its just becasue I can't bare to watch them die slowly. I don't think she is in pain either so I guess I just have to learn to accept that they can go on their own.

Should I continue with the meds or should I just stop them? Sometimes it seems like its more stressful for her to get the meds than its worth and I really don't think she's that bad without them either...I just kind of got them in the hope that it would bring her back...I didn't actually realize at the time that she was just shutting down.

EDIT: thank you for your kind words everyone.

I'm sorry, bruxxy. When I think it's the end I do stop the meds especially if it causes them more stress. And I have them with me every chance I get. I'm lucky as I work only a few hours a week, so I'm mostly home with them when they are sick. Kisses to your sweetie.

Just as I was beginning to think all was lost, Yoda shocked me my eating almost 6 syringes filled with carrot and pea baby food!! I have to clue what brought on this change in her because she hasn't really been interested in food for the past few days, but she just couldn't stop eating...I was the one who had to take the food away since I was afraid she might over eat and feel sick after.

I'm so happy right now and feel so silly for doubting her. She was always filled with surprises. I'm not getting my hopes up just yet by thinking shes going to make a full recovery or anything but I thought I would share the good news. :happydance: And after she ate all that food she looked up at me with the most adoring eyes as if to say "thank you mom...I feel so much better now". Awwwe I love her so much. :heart:

lilspaz68 said:
give her a short bit and let her eat again.
Yea thats exactly what I'm going to do. She seems to love the carrots and peas so I'm going to keep giving her that.

I've noticed that sick rats and even old rats go through bouts of not eating and then eating lots. I guess when they feel crappy they don't want to waste too much energy on eating so the moments they do feel a bit better they will eat again.
I hope she continues to feel better. :cheer:

Emma gave me a bit of a scare earlier, but then gobbled up some strawberry ensure and stopped her scary hopping about. Sounds like you and I are in similar boats with Yoda and Emma.

I was able to feed her a bit more last night as well as a bit this morning but shes kind of back to not really being interested in food. At this point I'm just going to keep giving her the meds and offering her food and hoping for the best concidering there isn't much else I can do.

She seems to be only interested in the carrots and peas baby food. Is it good for her to only be eating that? What else could I offer her that will give her a little more nutritional variety?

Back