I think my rat had a stroke?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pamela9200

I came home about 2 days ago to find that one of my rats cannot stand straight, she's tilted to the left. And one of her fingers was completely bent backwards! It's straightened out now. Her nose appears to bleed off and on. I don't have any money in order to get her the medical attention she clearly needs. Any idea what it is? Is there anything I should do for her?

Thanks

It sounds to me like she really needs a vet...is there no way to scrape some money up? I'm not sure what could be wrong with her but if she's in pain at all and you cant take her to the vet then I would consider having her pts...your local shelter should be able to help you with this since money is an issue.

She needs a vet and medication.
Otherwise keep her warm, hydrated, fed, and comfortable.
If it is a stroke, rats will sometimes recover on their own. It sounds like it may be an inner ear infection or perhaps she fell.
Treatment for stroke, ear infection, etc is the same ... aggressive treatment with antibiotics and anti-inflammatory. You get these meds from a vet.

If she is suffering, she will need to be humanely pts by a vet that will do it properly.
Please see: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9582&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=put+to+sleep

:hugs:

The bleeding, I'm guessing is porphyrin. This happens when the rat is ill or stressed. She might have an inner ear infection which needs to be treated.
Keep her warm, fed and hydrated. How old is she and how is she acting otherwise, like lethargic or still active?

She needs to see a vet, even if you have to pay the vet back later.
You can't own any pet and not have the money to take them to the vet. You'd take yourself to a doctor and they deserve the sane level of care. It sounds like a possible ear infection to me if she is tilted to one side.

Jo is the only one that did NOT say to take the animal to a vet, (Thank you Jo) did the rest of you not read this????
pamela9200 said:
I don't have any money in order to get her the medical attention she clearly needs.
The first thing the 3 of you posted was to take the rat to a vet. Why would you post that and make this person feel bad when they are already concerned? Do you not think they would see a vet if they had the money? and don't bother telling me about not having a pet if you can't afford it. If you people think EVERYONE on this forum goes to the vet, you are all very naive. This person has posted for help not stupid comments they already know. Provide some help and keep uncalledfor criticism to yourself.

Maple said:
Jo is the only one that did NOT say to take the animal to a vet, (Thank you Jo) did the rest of you not read this????
pamela9200 said:
I don't have any money in order to get her the medical attention she clearly needs.
The first thing the 3 of you posted was to take the rat to a vet. Why would you post that and make this person feel bad when they are already concerned? Do you not think they would see a vet if they had the money? and don't bother telling me about not having a pet if you can't afford it. If you people think EVERYONE on this forum goes to the vet, you are all very naive. This person has posted for help not stupid comments they already know. Provide some help and keep uncalledfor criticism to yourself.

I really dont think there is any need for your rude comment...both SQ and I gave our opinion about seeing a vet and also offered a second opinion and I really dont see how we critisized in any way. I can only speak for myself here but I appologize to pamela if SHE took my reply in an offensive way because I did not mean it to be rude. I was merely wonder if there was any possible way of getting the funds together now that she knows how serious it is. As for the uncalled for criticism you might want to look at keeping yours to yourself as well.

And just to note: when Jo says
jorats said:
She might have an inner ear infection which needs to be treated.
treatment = medication which means seeing a vet.

Hi all, thanks for your replies.

I can't find a single vet that takes a payment plan. The cost of having her pts is literally the same as getting her treated (This is bad because neither option is available to me now.) I'm not going to go into full detail about my financial situation, but literally, the money is just not there. She's very lethargic, just laying around now. Her sister chooses to stay in the 2nd cage now. (I have 2 cages interconnected.) I've had about some 35 rats in my time, and this is the first time I've ever seen this one. I just spent an hour on the phone trying to cut a deal with the spca. They really are jerks, and I'm still pretty angry about it.

jorats said:
How old is she and how is she acting otherwise, like lethargic or still active?
She's about 9 months old. She's very lethargic, just laying around now. She has been eating and drinking but then she goes all sleepy again and passes out. She hasn't been up for food for about 9 hours now, so I don't know what's up at this point.

jorats said:
You can't own any pet and not have the money to take them to the vet. You'd take yourself to a doctor and they deserve the sane level of care.

I'm glad your circumstances allow for you to provide that care, but you shouldn't judge me so because I can't.

You mistakenly attributed the wrong quote to jorats.

Sometimes people are able to purchase baytril + clavamox or chlorpalm over the internet.
That might be an option. I don't think you would be able to get an anti inflamatory like pred that way tho.

I hope you are able to get some money somehow, either to pay for meds or have her humanely pts.

Another option would be to try to find a rescue that would take her (you would not get her back) and treat her or have her humanely pts.
(I pmed you a phone number to call today.)
littledevils in BC might know of someone in CA. You could also post on ratrules at http://www.goosemoose.com and see if there is a rescue in your area that could take her.

If she is passing out, it sounds like it is more serious then an ear infection and I think she is likely dying from what you wrote in your second post.
As I previously wrote, without medical treatment, all you can do is keep her warm, hydrated, fed, as comfortable as possible and loved.
If she seems to be in pain, let us know as there are some over the counter meds that might be helpful.

Very sorry for all of you
:hugs:

I think it's much easier to get meds online in the US. I'd try that. Or like SQ said, see if a rescue would take her in.

All miscommunications aside, I really appreciate the help and information offered. I'm going to contact the rescues that SQ had PMed me. As far as meds go, without a diagnosis I'm really afraid of causing more harm than good. I could most likely afford the meds alone, but the doctors really want outrageous amounts of money, I've been quoted $85 and 120$ for just the visit, not including all services rendered. I spent over an hour trying to communicate with the SPCA, and when I finally got to speak to someone she had absolutely no sympathy for a rat, and flatly refused any services. She said they were "way too busy for this." Like my rats are less part of my family than my cat or something. :redhot:

Unfortunately problems such as these do arise with pets. I find a lot of stores and people in general (I don't mean here) see small animals as expendable and disposable. Many think rats are inexpensive and as any of us here and we will tell you the exact opposite.

With pets comes the need for medical attention. Things arise and financial situations occur but the bottom line is your pet needs medical attention. We are not vets, we can't tell you for certain with the given info what the exact problem is. Medicating without seeing a vet can be very dangerous. Yes there are people that may self medicate on the forum however they have been doing this for a lot longer then some and know what is needed.

I agree it sounds like something neuro or an ear infection. I hope your girl gets better soon.

Maple,
I did read the original post and I responded as best and honestly as I could.
I am sorry you thought I was criticizing. I was trying to be as helpful as possible, with the info. at my disposal.

Hey honey you live in california right? I had some problems with my rat getting a tumor and There are a lot of places in cali willing to help out animals. What part of cali do you live in? because Gateway animal hospital was a big help. I found 2 places to donate $100 for my rat and then in the end gateway put him to sleep free of charge for me. One company is called Actors and Animals They donated $100 but the animal has to be scheduled to see the vet before they make their donation. What they do is you have the vet contact her and she'll give them a voucher for the donation over the phone. I'd call ahead of time though just to make sure she has the funds available. she only gives out so much each day. The other company that helped me is really great but they only give up to about $150 towards a pet. It's the lifeline company, I applied online and got a call back in 10 min with the offer for help. I don't remember the site but I do have the phone number: 916-429-2457 Give them a call i'm sure they'll help.

Most vets have a list of places that help but a lot of them are specifically for cats and dogs. I did a lot of research over the course of 2 days and found my help. There's a lot of help out there for people who can't afford care.

The number for Actors and animals is 818-755-6045 if she doesn't answer keep calling back till she does cause she gets lots of calls.

I hope this helps. Try calling different vets and ask them if they have a list of financial aid organizations. Good luck to ya

Its horrible what you are going through, I've been through the same. There are times when people are in a crunch and dont have the money at that specific time and its nothing people should make you feel bad about. Just make her comfortable if she is still with you if you cant figure anything out. :hugs:

Back