I think Janie had a stroke

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godmother

I got home from vacation and picked up the ratties from our rat-sitter today. Janie, my sweet PEW girl, had been in distress the other night when she was stuck in a corner behind Charlene. At first it seemed as if Janie was trapped because of her HED, but then the rat-sitter realized that Janie was not eating her food and could not move nearly as well as before. She's been feeding her by syringe the last few days. Janie gets very hungry, but is very weak on one side and has a terrible time moving around. She can't eat at all on her own.

Poor sweetie looks so pathetic when she tries to groom herself. She tries so hard; it breaks my heart. I don't think she will be with me for much longer. The food by syringe keeps her hydrated and strong enough to move, but she needs me to wash her. She would be in bad shape if I was gone all day at work (which will happen on Tuesday). How I wish that I could just take her with me.

I am trying her on Prednisone, as advised, and I will give the on-call vet a call tomorrow. I wonder why they don't use clot-busting meds like they do on humans?

If Janie doesn't improve I don't see any humane option to having her pts. :sad3:

Could it be PT? They seem to be hungry all the time with PT. The vet said it could affect just one side of the body. I'm so sorry for your girl. :hugs:

Back