i think im in the right place ok

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is recommended that new rats are quarintined for 4 weeks if possible in a separate airspace.
There are several airborn rat diseases such as SDA, so you would want to make sure the new rat is healthy prior to exposing the two rats you already have.

Rats are territorial so you will need to gradually introduce the new rat, unless all 3 are babies.
There are established intro steps you can follow.
Three rats will need a min. of six cubic feet of cage space (min. of 2 cubic feet per rat).

A lot depends of the age of the rats and the sex. Are your rats boys or girls? If the new rat is coming from a pet store you should consider quarantine, as SQ mentioned, because pet store rats in particular can be sick. I quarantine for 2 weeks, not 4. You mention that your cage is 2 x 2, how tall is it? I think you would probably have to upgrade your cage also.

Most rats need proper introductions done.... they will sometimes fiercly guard their cage (territory) from new rats.

Back