I think I might go vegetarian?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Becoming a vegetarian is a personal, and rewarding journey. It can be tough at first, but now I can't imagine I ever lived any other way. It is second nature to check labels(which we should all be doing anyway). I am at a better place emotionally, physically and I make informed decisions about my body and the world around me. Whats better than that? I do not support PeTA, however, I do understand and respect many of their messages. If you'd liek to know more about being veg or just chat about issues you can always pm me or check out http://www.veggieboards.com

(Continuing cause I missed my bus anyway)
My biggest issues when I became veg were products that were not obviously meat but contained gelatin(from animal colagen, bone, ect), rennet(calf stomach in some cheeses), carmine(crushed red beatles in some red food and drink). That sucked. I missed jello, marshmallows and the cheese brands I usually ate, as well as my favorite kind of fruitopia which had it. Now though I eat snack pack jello,marshmallow spread that comes in jars to make smores, a different better kind of cheese, and the plain old fruitopia. It feels like a sacrifice at first soemtimes, but it really isn't and you get used to it. It isn't weird, people who are health concious or have allergies check labels all the time too. I would never ever go back. Some people hate this saying because it is kind of aggressive, but considering why you are making this choice, I leave you with this thought: "When you eat meat your body is a graveyard for dead animals."

When people argue with you over eating meat not being wrong, or it is wrong but they could never change it, that they hardly eat meat, that everything in moderation is good, about how it's natural, about how one person not eating meat makes no difference remember that every snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Being a vegetarian is more than just a dietary decision.

I hope your expereince with becoming a vegetarian is rewarding and lasts a lifetime :D

breakthenight said:
It is second nature to check labels(which we should all be doing anyway).

I actually read a lot more labels and am more aware of what im eating since being vegetarian. I know about additives and preservatives and fats, sugars etc.

Would people be interested in a sub forum for vegetarians/vegans so they can add ideas and recipes?

One of the reason I'm not vegetarian is the lack of time for food preparation and also what's healthy to eat for vegetarian. I grew up with French Canadian diet... steak, potatoes and gravy. I wouldn't know where to begin with a veggie diet. I did do a couple and it really didn't turn out right. My lack of cooking skills proved to my hubby that vegetarian is not for him. lol

OMG HAHAH funny story:

My sister is the biggest control freak in the world yea..

She moved in with her now husband (he was just her boyfriend at the time) 10 years ago and he had been a strict vegetarian for about 10 yrs. She refused to stop eating meat or anything. It came to a Sunday and she cooked a MASSIVE roast chicken and slammed it down right in the middle of the dinner table.

That morning was the last morning he was vegetarian

I'm curious if we all went vegan I suppose a few people would want a pet cow or chicken but what would happen to all of the others? I really don't think they would get the care that they recieve now even if it's not the best. Also if people didn't eat meat think about the wildlife there would be way too many and they might starve to death. I'm sure someone will think of a way to make my point look unimportant but I think it makes sense.

Not sure about wildlife but with cows, they just wouldn't be mass produced like they are now.

I remember a few years ago, in Sudbury, they eliminated the spring bear hunt. All the hunters were up in arms claiming we'll have loads of bear problems and such but to this day, there were never any extra bear problems, not more so than before when they were being hunted.

Lee, I don't think people are making other's questions or opinions any less important...

I have been vegetarian for quite some time now, but i remember when I first gave up meat... it felt wonderful, like a psychological burden had been lifted that I never even knew was there, not to mention that my body felt great, I had more energy, etc. I like PETA, its what turned me onto being veg, and they have some great links on their site, like goveg.org(maybe .com). I have heard some bad things about PETA, but to each his own.

My main concerns socially have always been animal-directed, its just my mindset, while my boyfriend's is more people-directed, which is why he does emergency services and social work. I think its really just part of each individual's personality whether they are animal-oriented, people-oriented, or self-oriented.

I don't dislike people who eat meat of course, everyone deserves to decide for themselves and I won't push anything, but I feel better and healthier, physically and spiritually/mentally, since going vegetarian.

That's my two bits lol

jorats said:
Would people be interested in a sub forum for vegetarians/vegans so they can add ideas and recipes?

One of the reason I'm not vegetarian is the lack of time for food preparation and also what's healthy to eat for vegetarian. I grew up with French Canadian diet... steak, potatoes and gravy. I wouldn't know where to begin with a veggie diet. I did do a couple and it really didn't turn out right. My lack of cooking skills proved to my hubby that vegetarian is not for him. lol

I think that would be a good idea, jorats!
Maybe one each for omnivores, vegetarians and vegans?
Supper would never be a mystery again! :lol:

jorats said:

Id be interested!
Ah, the cooking issue. For big meat eaters, there tends to be a few not so hard dishes that usually go over well. If you like baked beans, easiest meal to make provided you have a crock pot, and usually doesn't seem too weird to take,lol. People never know what I eat, because they assume I make big elaborate (weird) meals all the time which totally isn't true, though on occasion I do cook something big, because I actually love to cook. Most of the rest of the time though I throw things together that I can have made and on table in 20 minutes or less. I make veggie boiled dinners(also painfully easy when you throw everything into a crockpot),chili with beans and extra veggie instead of meat, lasagna with the meat section filled with white kidney beans and sauce or veggie ground round instead of hamburger, hodgepodge(YUM- when other people have fish chowder its almost the same just no fish moove veggie!), salads occasionally usually with some cheese cause I love cheese, scalloped potatoes, fried rice, stir fry...the list goes on. Lots of very normal veggie meals that take minimal effort at best and don't weird out the meat eaters. I actually don't eat that much tofu or fake meats at all. I do have a wicked recipe for hommade vegetarian donair meat though. I think even if someone for whatever reason does not want or feel that they are ready to take on becoming a veg, eating a few meatless meals, or even going meatless for one day a week can make an awesome difference.

I was a vegitarian for about 10 years and have just started to eat a little red meat again. The only reason I didn't eat meat was 'cause I didn't like the taste of it and I still don't really. But If you don't do it right being a vegitarian can be quite hard and you can get really sick. Which is what happened to me. I got sick a lot so I had to switch back. I don't have the funds to properly be a vegitarian it's just to expensive.
It's always great to try new things though I say go for it and try it out and if it agrees with you perfect, if not at least you tried it.

jorats said:

I don't think people realize how easy it can be once they know what products are out there. Potatoes are vegatarian :cheeky: , fake steak strips that just need to be warmed up to serve are available in my small city grocery stores, and also the best gravy I've ever had is actually vegan and available at most grocery stores as well. I love my fake meats. They are also enriched with all sorts of good stuff. They make being vegetarian very easy for someone like myself who used to really enjoy the taste of meat, even though now the thought of it grosses me out. I can have pretty much all of the foods I would normally eat, except just switch out the meat for fake yummy meats. :wink2: Plus, I do eat more veggies now. I will still eat eggs and I love my cheese and real ice cream, but my hubby won't touch either, so I usually have to cook vegan, which is why I have vegan foods and recipes in my thoughts. :roll: I don't think I could be vegan, at least not until I find delicious fake old cheddar cheese in my city. (not likely any time soon) I've already found alright ice cream and super yummy dark chocolate. :giggle:

Back