I started intros but I need help

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wonderrodent

I started intros in the bathroom two days ago with my two girls Snowflake and Tumbleweed and my group of three Blizzard, Typhoon and Sunshine. I have to say the two girls are very sweet to the others.
Blizzard and the two girls was the easiest intro. I think Blizzy feels like the king with his two mistresses. He totally enjoys getting groomed by them and he grooms them, too. I already found them cuddled up after they got tired from running around.
Typhoon, my little bossy boy is quite the gentleman. Not much huffing or puffing going on. Only once in a while he has to remind everybody who the boss is. But he is well-behaved.
My problem is my girl Sunshine (which I expected the least!). First of all, she is always a little stressed out when she is in a different room. Secondly, she is 2 years old and on meds (also prednisone). Whenever one of the girls would want to sniff or groom her, she got really irritaded. She would puff up and squeak. She would either just run away or if they run after her, throw some ninja kicks. Today she pinned Snowflake down and then I saw that Snowflake was bleeding from her ear. Sunshine must have bitten her. It seems like she wants nothing to do with the two girls.
Is their hope that she'll mellow down? Should I try again even after the biting incident? I feel sorry for both of them. I am very upset right now because I really want this to work and I want them to be happy. Thanks for any input!

put some tasty, but mushy food in the middle of the tub, so they are distracted, but close to each other.
Snowflake is probably just protesting being dominated, it sounds like her ear got in the way, but it doesn't sound like a serious wound. It can be so scary when our babies are disagreeing.
It is important to let them figure things out in the first couple of intro's, so they know who is in charge.

It sounds like you are off to a great start! good luck!

wonderrodent said:
I started intros in the bathroom two days ago with my two girls Snowflake and Tumbleweed and my group of three Blizzard, Typhoon and Sunshine. I have to say the two girls are very sweet to the others.
Blizzard and the two girls was the easiest intro. I think Blizzy feels like the king with his two mistresses. He totally enjoys getting groomed by them and he grooms them, too. I already found them cuddled up after they got tired from running around.
Typhoon, my little bossy boy is quite the gentleman. Not much huffing or puffing going on. Only once in a while he has to remind everybody who the boss is. But he is well-behaved.
My problem is my girl Sunshine (which I expected the least!). First of all, she is always a little stressed out when she is in a different room. Secondly, she is 2 years old and on meds (also prednisone). Whenever one of the girls would want to sniff or groom her, she got really irritaded. She would puff up and squeak. She would either just run away or if they run after her, throw some ninja kicks. Today she pinned Snowflake down and then I saw that Snowflake was bleeding from her ear. Sunshine must have bitten her. It seems like she wants nothing to do with the two girls.
Is their hope that she'll mellow down? Should I try again even after the biting incident? I feel sorry for both of them. I am very upset right now because I really want this to work and I want them to be happy. Thanks for any input!
Can you move their intros onto neutral ground so that Sunshine is not so stressed out? The little nick on the ear, is really nothing to worry about, it's an innocent thing. Have Sunshine near you at all times during intros. She will start to feel the good energy from her cage mates and she should start to relax. Keep up your intros and change your own feelings to good feelings. Rats can pick up on nervous energy. :)

Thanks guys!
Jo, I can't think of any other room where she would be more comfortable. She is only comfy in her own room. During the intro, when she gets overwhelmed, she actually jumps into my lap and I pet and talk to her until she is ready to roam around some more. Usually, the others all interact with each other but she stays away from the group most of the time. She seems annoyed and acts like she doesn't want any more friends. I wonder if she acted differently if she wasn't on prednisone. But she still has a few weeks until done with it. I was pretty relaxed until the incident today. I'll try to stay positive!
Handmeafish, I don't know if I should put them all in the tub. Yes, Sunshine would be "forced" to be closer but I don't know if this is a good idea. What do you guys think? I do sprinkle treats around the bathroom but I will try something mushy on a plate.

I'd do the mushy food on a plate so they have to be next to each other to eat it. I say just keep doing what you are doing, eventually, she should get it.

Back