I need help with my anti-human moms

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephanief987

I rescued 2 moms at 2 seperate times.
1) She had 4 babies and the owners were threatening to throw her and her 4 babies to the side of the street so I went that day and raised them all. I later sold the babies and kept mom.
2) She was in horrible condition at some animal shack I stopped to get food, she gave birth to 9 babies the next day (who all got sent to good homes except the 2 boys of hers I kept, well 3 but the other passed.)

Both mothers had chopped off tails. The one, her owners son cut it off with scissors, it was a fresh scissor cut when I got her. The other I think got it bit off because it was also a fresh cut. These two moms are so evil to me, I've had them for ~4-5 months and they still hate me. I totally understand why they don't like people because of their life, but I just want so bad for them to love me. I spoil them like crazy and I just cant win them over, even treats. I'll be cleaning their cage and they literally will fly out of their hammocks to bite me, I don't even go near them and they lunge at me. I don't want to get rid of them, they absolutly love the other girls, they get along perfectly with the rats just not humans. Is there anything I can do or am I just going to have to continue with this? I doubt I'd ever get rid of them I just want to try and anything I can. They are so gorgeous and it's like they want to like me but are afraid because they do approach the cage in a nice way sometimes but then attack.

Mommy #1 and her babies:
(Literally right before she popped them out)
mom1.jpg

(9 babies drinking from mama)
mom2.jpg

Here are the cuties - they all survived the birth, 1 didn't develope properly and passed 3 weeks later, he literally had no insides developed when we found his body a couple hours later. 1 was born a runt which lived to be 3 months old, he was amazing while he was around I miss him so much. 5 ended up going to new homes, I kept 2 boys and mom)
babies1-1.jpg

babies2-1.jpg

babies3-1.jpg

babies4.jpg

Mommy #2 and her young:
I wish I could have kept these 4, they were so amazing and I miss them dearly. I think about them often although I sent them to good homes I still wish I had them. At this point I found out that I have a baby of my own on the way so I knew I was better off finding them homes at that time instead of getting even more attached then having to let them go months later. I obviously did end up keeping mama though.
mama.jpg

babs.jpg

babs2.jpg

babs3.jpg

babs4.jpg

babs5.jpg

That is really sad. Poor girls. I dont really have any experience with these kind of rats so I cant tell you anything. I am wishing you luch though. And maybe they never will come around. Maybe they will. Who knows.

I'm wishing you the best of luck!!

The awful things humans do... I'm so sorry you are left having to put together the pieces of a broken pet.
Sadly, these girls may never come around... but never lose hope. It's quite understandable their behavior with what they've been through. All I can say is hang in there... You are doing great just by offering them a home, food and buddies to love them. They may at some point come around and I hope they do so they can show you their gratitude, I know deep down inside they do feel it for you.

Back