I need help!!-RIP Sweet Lilith :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YorkieLove

We have tried Cabergoline and prednisone with no help at all on Lilith's PT. She has made a real turn for the worse tonight. What I want to know is I know they say not to give prednisone and metacam within 72 hours of each other. What happens if they are given too close together. I want to give her a last chance dose of metacam tonight but she had a dose of prednisone this morning. You have been reading about Lilith in previous posts from my daughter Robinkwr.

Thank you

Is it for pain? You can safely give her Tylenol with the pred, but it's likely you will be unable to get the full dose into her. I've always waited 24 hours after pred/dex, is it really 72?

I'm so sorry, hang in there you guys.

No not so much pain but discomfort or awkwardness. She can barely move her back legs now and her front hands are useless in a constant balled up state. I was hopeing it would make her sleep better. In all honesty it may be i am the only one feeling the discomfort just watching her trying to do anything now. She will be going into our vet in the morning so we can help her to the rainbow bridge I am pretty sure. I just hate this disease!
I didn't think about giving her the tylenol I think I will give that a try.

Edited to correct typos.

Yeah... I don't think it is pain at all for Lilith, it is more the awkwardness that the PT has caused her body and it pretty much has taken over now. I chose not to take her in tonight only because she is still getting around, just a little rolly, and is still eating. But with how fast she went down hill from this morning I am not thinking a good out come is coming tomorrow morning. :'(

How much Pred did you give her? How much does she weigh? I'm wondering if you can increase the dose a bit more to make her more comfortable.

I have always been told to try to wait 24 hours between Prednisone and Metacam.

Well Lilith fought a hard battle but the PT won again. Thank you for your suggestions but the poor girl could not go on with her body betraying her so much. We helped her over the bridge today. At least I know her sister Eve was waiting is now happy because they were a very very bonded pair. I will let Robin do a proper memorial in a few days after we can compose ourselves enough to do it. Thanks again for all the kind words. I love this rat community!! :sad3:

I am so sorry for your loss. Having gone through PT with rats of my own, I know how debilitating this disease can be on them, and how heartbreaking it is on us because all we ever want is to just love them and take care of them. Your girl knows how much you love her and tried everything for her; indeed, she plays well with her sister now, and they will always overlook you and be near to you. Please take care and my condolences at this difficult time.

Back