I need help....rattie is biting.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyklyst

Hi there
First off, I would like to thank the individuals who were so helpful on chat today! I think we may know the solution...but I was told a few of you may have more insight.
I am not new to owning pets, I raised hamsters and gerbils as a teen and as a mom, I continue to love animals and enjoy their company. We currently have 2 female cats, both fixed and 2 fish tanks. In addition to these animals, I became very attached to a dumbo rat at a local pet store chain and brought him home. I am a new rattie owner...since May 29th. I have a male named 29 who we had fixed, he is approximately 6 months old. My rats live in the Feisty Ferret cage, it's huge, if you are unfamiliar with it. About 6-8 weeks ago, I decided to get a cagemate for 29 and started searching the internet for rescues. There is only one rescue that I could find in our area and I went to see what they had. I wanted 1 of 3 females housed together in a cage. The 3 girls, I was told, were too bonded to separate, so they needed to be kept together. After sleeping on it a few days, we brought them home. The girls, known as Spice, Mocha Java and Pixel were fostered by a couple in their 60-70's, living in a very peaceful home. The rats had their own, equally quiet, room in the house. They were fed breakfast and dinner every day, whatever foster mommy/daddy were eating, in addition they received rat block and cereals. Their cage was cleaned daily. Their bedding was old sheets and pillow cases with a small litter box with Softsorb. The cage was on its own little table and the doors were open all day long. Basically, they couldn't escape their little table, but weren't confined either.
So, we brought them home, intros went smooth...very much so! About a week after we got them in the same cage, Mocha started biting me. She broke skin and hasn't since, but she bites me about 4x a day if I guessed. If I reach in to give food and she is there, she will bite (yes my hands are always washed prior) and if we unlatch the door-she will bite me. Sometimes I remove the rats to clean their house, which I clean and empty the bedding every other day, and sometimes I leave them in the cage...she bites me. I don't get it. We don't go into her sleeping houses, we wait for her to come to get out of the cage. Sometimes I will reach in when they are aware I am there and pet the 3 girls and she seems fine with that.
29, he couldn't care less....he just goes about his day thinking I am his pet human. He's wonderful.
So, today...Mocha bit a 3 yr old who was visiting us. She didn't stick her finger in the cage, she was about 1 inch from the bars and she reached thru to nip her. I'm concerned because she has now resorted to biting other people. Mocha has nipped at my hubby a few times too...mostly just me though. We do not feed her thru the bars ever!
So, I called the rescue and talked to both the foster and the organizer and was basically told I wasn't a responsible pet owner. I was told we had too many rats (5 total-I got a baby 2 days ago) and we didn't have time for what we had. I was told that a responsible rat owner keeps to 2-3 rats and no more. I was so PISSED! She allowed us to take 3 girls when we already had one boy...that is more than 3. I was told I should clean the cage daily, I refuse to do that...most don't clean this often from what I hear...plus their cage is HUGE-so it takes a while for it to get bad. Basically, I was told to call a mediator of sorts, have her come over to see what we were doing and go from there. I said I wanted to bring back the girls, part of the agreement was they go back if we can't take care of them, I was all but told NO.
So....no what? The new baby, named Uh-Oh (my daughter named her) and 29, our awesome boy, love each other. I was thinking to just put the girls in our spare room to live their lives out in peace since I can't take them back. I'm not sure what more I can do. Cait suggested Mocha was terrified...lots of changes from foster to my house.
Any ideas...much appreciated. I will answer any questions you have, I am an open book. Maybe I am missing a key element. Maybe I am not doing something right...I'm at a loss.

(I will post a photo when I figure out how...LOL)

First off, don't give up too quickly! There are a lot of experienced people frequenting this board, and I'm sure they will have lots of great advice.
Second, until this biting thing is resolved, just tell visitors to keep their distance. If they want to hold a rattie, one of you can get it for them.
Third, I cannot tell you how many people on this board have more than 2 or 3 rats. I myself have 8. There are people here who have 20 - 30 rats! Many people believe it's better to give a rat a good home with friends and food, even if they don't get hours out with their owner every day, than for the rat to be DEAD. Plain and simple.
You're giving these girls a home. That's a great start. Now you just need to figure out a behavioural issue. Don't give up! Lots of good info here.
I don't have a lot of experience, just with my bunch. A couple of things that might cause biting could be that sometimes females get 'cranky' while in heat. Maybe with a boy present she is getting wound up. Is she spayed?
Another thing might be that she is territorial and nervous (new house, new people). Maybe if you spend much more time with her? Would it be safe for you to stuff her under your sweater while watching TV/reading/on the computer for a while? So you and she can bond? Do you have a Kevlar vest? LOL
Hang in there, someone will have some good ideas!

Part of our struggle with the 3 we got from the rescue is only one, the dumbo, wants to be held. Pixel and Mocha are supposedly mother and daughter (I don't believe they are) and all they want to do is run away or jump. I don't think they came from a good environment prior to the foster home, but they adored the foster mom. They were always trying to get to her and climb on her shoulder. It is super hard to get them to just enjoy being held, Pixel is a jumper and Mocha is an escape artist.
My male is fixed, but he still is mounting the girls from time to time. I am hesitant to fix the girls with him fixed-the cost is huge where I live. $210.00 per rat, my male was $145.00. I struggle with the whole idea of fixing the girls since we are having a hard time with them. I wouldn't want to spend the money to have them go back.
Yes, I agree...I think it is better to give an animal a home if you can provide them with something great. I would have more ratties if this situation wasn't going on, mostly cuz I just love em. But....I would only get dumbos now. Being a new rat owner and from what I am experiencing with 2 standards and 3 dumbos...the dumbos are so gentle and sweet by comparison to the others.

Ahhh, don't get fooled into thinking one type or colour is sweeter/cuddlier than the other......rat prejudice you know!
Each rat, like each person, has their own personality. Some are snuggle bunnies, while others can't stop moving. My ratties are all very active. The only way they will settle down (most of the time) is to put them in my shirt and go watch the tube. (I don't take all 8 at one time - LOL)
My first two girls, Minnie and Cassie, would never come out of the cage to me. I had to drag them out. After Minnie died and Cassie was alone, she would literally throw herself out of the cage at me. I think they just preferred rat company to human company, and I only became wonderful when I was the only company. She spent much more time with me after that until she died a couple of months later.
Your girls haven't been with you very long. They don't know you too well yet, and may warm up to you as things progress. And, they may never be snuggly. That's just their personality. That doesn't mean they don't like living with you!

The dumbos being more sweet and gentle has nother to do with their coat/ears/breed or whatever you call it. I have one male dumbo rat with four standard ear rats, and my dumbo is the bully. They each have individual personalities, same as you and I. It's like saying people with brown hair are nicer people than blondes.

With the nippy rat, try taking the rats of the cage, and sit them on the floor in the bathroom (or another room where they can have free-roam) and you sit on the floor on the other side of the room. Let her do her own thing (you have to be patient) and let her come to you. Don't reach for her, don't try to feed her, pet her, nothing. Once she sees the others willingly go other and get cuddles/scritches from you, she may begin to learn she can trust you.

Worked for me! ;)

My two girls took MONTHS to warm up to me and even then they nipped out of curiosity, such as testing my toes or lip innocently. It wasn't a true bite but sometimes they sure made me jump! The girls are always moving, never stopping, and only coming forward for food. Since Clover passed away and it's only Poppy I have to drag her out of her cage - she's just so unsure. Maybe winning them over one at a time will help the others become more confident. Bring out the most curious female with the two confident dumbo's and offer treats.

The winning technique for me was laying down on my bed quietly and letting them run around on me without moving. After about a week I would start moving but only to rub my nose or scratch my head or adjust my legs - non threatening movements like that. Then they were more eager to get to know me.

.. I quoted instead of editing. :doh:

Anywho, like Joanne said, alot of us have tons of rats wether it's a rescue or not! Everyone is comfortable with a particular number, it's about how many you can responsibly afford to bring into your heart, not what someone else deems correct. And seriously, don't assume that colors, coats, or ears make a personality - rats are individuals like dogs, cats, humans, horses, etc. It doesn't mean they can't improve with time and love. :wink2:

You said she bit a week after you brought them home? Were you doing the things you did when she bit you all that time?
Is it truly 'biting' and not just 'nipping'? Cause they really are 2 different things for 2 different reasons and I expect need 2 different reactions.

Some ratties nip when they are with you and stimulated, it's just an excited enthusiastic affectionate thing really, but people can find it scary when they don't know their intent (sometimes it's the fear that hurts, not the nip). If it doesn't actually hurt you then you don't need to be concerned except to warn people they might do it. Of course you might personally dislike being nipped. My Sequoia nips, never my hand but anything else if she can and it is a little troubling as I have to be careful kissing her or getting my face close, she won't break skin or really hurt, but it does shock and hurt just a bit. I had another kid Kelley that would only nip my hand and nowhere else (ok, eyelid once at 1st but never after I yelled OUCH), and my hand only when I wasn't holding her, and there was no nasty in her either. If it's just a nipping thing and she doesn't really hurt you then I guess you have to decide if you can live with it when you realize there's nothing to fear. I've never tried to cure a kid of that as I've never found it a problem.

If she really is biting that's another thing all together. But that is not an impossible thing either. I've had a few that came as intentional biters & blood-drawers. Best is to yell OUCH immediately after the bite, pick them up and put them in the cage and ignore them for a while - and be wary of them them next time but let them get close to you as you can if they want to. I do make a point of giving them treats from my fingers (being careful) while I am trying to bring them around, hoping they learn that fingers are good not bad. I guess this won't cure everyone one but honestly I've had some nasty biters and never had one yet that didn't come around to gentle real soon. I haven't had a lot of luck stopping the nippers (but as I say I haven't really tried) but I've never had a biter that didn't come around.

I'd just be a little worried that if the ratties all get along ok and you separate Mocha & her sister from the other 2 cause Mocha bites or nips you then her & her sisters will get less outings & attention cause of Mocha when it it most likely a solvable problem. And the ones that are most difficult in the beginning and require the most effort often end up being the ones that become most dear to your heart. Don't sell you or Mocha short. If she's biting it's only fear & distrust, that just needs time & patience. If sh'e just nipping then maybe the same tactics would work? Don't lose something precious cause of impatience.. For both of you.

Hi! I believe we've talked before, I remember the name 29...it's so original. :D

Your three girls are scared and stressed out but the nippy one is even more so, she believes she needs to protect the cage and unfortunately she has learned that humans are not to be trusted.
The best course of action is lots and lots of socializing. Also, I strongly suggest you put up a sign warning visitors to not go near the cage. That is her home and she should feel comfortable in it and not have to dart around protecting it. Until she learns that she and her sisters are safe with you, this is how it will be. Next time you need to go into the cage, you should scoop little miss or allow her to climb onto you while you do your business in her cage. When you are done, you return her to it. If that's not possible, then offer her a handful of peas to keep her distracted while you are in there cleaning.
As for the extra socializing, down the shirt trick is the way to go with these three. Put on a tshirt and a sweatshirt over top and put the girls in between and go read a book or watch TV. Let them get cozy inside you... they will soon relate your smell to safe and dark place. The more you can do this the faster you'll get them attached to you.

I'm saddened at how you were badly treated by the rescue. I've got 28 rats, all of them rescues, all of them with their unique personalities, some friendlier than others... some needing more work. But it's all doable and very rewarding in the end.

jorats said:
Next time you need to go into the cage, you should scoop little miss or allow her to climb onto you while you do your business in her cage.
Lol! There you go, just do 'your business' in their cage maybe she'll see you as one of the pack. Problem solved! :laugh4:

(sorry Jo, just too good to pass up)

Fidget said:
jorats said:
Next time you need to go into the cage, you should scoop little miss or allow her to climb onto you while you do your business in her cage.
Lol! There you go, just do 'your business' in their cage maybe she'll see you as one of the pack. Problem solved! :laugh4:

(sorry Jo, just too good to pass up)

Other kind of business...but hey, if you want to try that one, go for it. lol

Yes, Jorats...we did communicate a few weeks or so ago. I found your video on youtube and sent you a message. You helped me a TUN, so I joined the forum. Your knowledge is wonderful, as are the rest of the ratty owners I have met on the site. Thank you again for all the input and info.

29 is my love, I am so attached to him! He is precious as is the new baby Uh-Oh!!

Anyhow, I am going to work with all the info. With all the input, it seems the consensus is the same, I have a scared crew of rats. I do strongly FEEL the girls didn't come from a really good environment and may have been neglected. Unfortunately, the sweatshirt idea won't be good...it's 110 degrees here. Sitting in the bathroom with them is a great idea, we will do that. I have noticed in the last few days, while observing, each time a cat walks by the cage Pixel and Mocha scamper about. I'm sure my daughters screeches and loud singing (she's 3) aren't helping much either. My hubby and I are talking about moving the girls into a different cage and moving them to a spare bedroom in the house, maybe the quiet will help. Not sure yet...

Yes, I strongly feel Mocha is biting, not nibbling or trying to get attention. The others nibble on us, hers is a sudden snap-it's quick. I cannot pin point exactly what the reason is either. I will start making some notes of what I am doing when it happens.

We will work on this and not give up yet. I believe when we take on an animal its forever, I'm just worried she is gonna bite a child and it become really bad.

Any other ideas....keep them coming. Much appreciated.

ps. I just did 30 min of bathroom time, I think my new name is Jungle Jane (Jungle Gym-lol)

It is important to keep the ratties in a room that is well used so they get a lot of interaction.
Children and others can learn proper behaviour in different situations.
If it is a problem, I'm sure your daughter can learn to be a bit less loud around the rats ... indoor voices/outdoor voices, etc.

In case no one mentioned it, girls, in general, are much more active then boys. In general, boys like to play and snuggle and play some more. Girls are usually much too busy exploring, playing etc to have time to snuggle ... unless they are tired or older and slowing down a bit.

Five or six is a nice number of rats to have ... a nice size group but small enough that you can get to know each rat well and establish a good relationship with each one.
Many of us have large numbers of rescued rats just because of so very many needy rats in our areas have been in horrible life or death situations with no where else to go.

Hope you continue to work on socialization with the girls so they start to feel safe and less afraid. The example set by 29 will help with that.

I wouldn't separate these girls... they need 29 to show them how to mellow out and just chill. If left alone, they may never come around. They will get used to the noises and kitties. I've had rats while my sons were in their young teens, talk about loud. lol

Thank you everyone. We are handling the girls a bit differently. I put them out for free play while I cleaned the cage today. I have had them confined to the bathroom with me a few times, that seems to be helping. The rattie most interested in being with me is Mocha. So odd, but I'm thinking everyone is right...she is scared.

Once the new baby is bigger, we will proceed with slow intros and see how Mocha does. If it doesn't go well, the partition in our cage gets closed and 3 ratties will live upstairs from the other 2 ratties.

Thank you, thank you, thank you everyone.

I am told Mocha is 11 mo, Pixel is her dau and 6 mo old, Spice is 11 mo old, 29 is 6 mo old, and Uh-Oh is about 6 weeks old.

Yah, I learned that the hard way. Mocha nipped her and we know she is far too small to be with the big kids. We will wait for at least 4 more weeks.

Back