I need help, I got scammed

Help Support Rat Shack Forum:

Renee

I have literally no where else to turn, and I love this forum because everyone is always nice and active.

I lost my job on Monday because the store closed down, and I was sent off with no severance pay and a last paycheck of $89.35, so I was not doing well to begin with.

Not even ONE day later:
I'll cut straight to it. My friend needed money, so I sent it to him. Turns out that I didn't send my money to my friend, I sent money to someone pretending to be him.

I have tried contacting my bank. They can not do anything because the payment processed as debit.
I contacted CashApp (platform I sent the money) and they said it was "out of their control..."
I contacted local police, they listened to my entire story, took down all of my details, then told me that they shouldn't have even taken this complaint because they don't know where my money was sent (locally or in another country). I was so mad.
They sent me to ic3 . gov to file a complaint.
I filed this complaint to ic3 (FBI), and waited.
Then today, I checked the reviews for this website and discovered (so shockingly) that nothing is ever done about complaints and people often never hear back.

I have a TON of information over the scammer who took my money, but no authorities willing to take action. I have a name that most likely belongs to them, an ip address, phone carrier and phone type, and Cashapp has their social, bank, and license...

As a broke college student that was just scammed (stupidly) out of $400, and just lost a job, I need advice (what to do next, more steps I could take, etc). Anything is welcome. Thank you all!

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
I am so very sorry that this happened and you are in this position.
Have you talked to a student counsellor, student advisor, etc at the college you attend? They may have some suggestions.

Last edited:

Skar

Only advice I have to offer
1. Don't send money that you don't have.

2. Apply for cost of living loan.

3. Find another source of employment.

Renee

Only advice I have to offer
1. Don't send money that you don't have.

2. Apply for cost of living loan.

3. Find another source of employment.
I didn't spend money I didn't have, I already have another job, and I live with my parents. I would not have sent my friend money if I didn't have it to spare

Renee

I am so very sorry that this happened and you are in this position.
Have you talked to a student counsellor, student advisor, etc at the college you attend? They may have some suggestions.
That's really smart, thank you! I'll be sure to do that

Reactions: SQ
Group Builder