I need Baby Help FAST, kahlua's Bubs **Quick Update**

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwilightRatz

Ok I just check kahlua's babies and something is Terribly Wrong...

Yesterday the were very active but looked small to me, smaller then scarletts babies at that age.

I just checked them they are chilly and 2 were out of the nest. They are thin now and kahlua isn't always in there which i thought was normal as Scarlett did that sometimes.

I don't think she is feeding them or maybe she doesn't have any more milk, I thought they were fine yesterday, Maybe I'm a bad Mom for not noticing I new one was a little skinn but it was the runt.

Some are BARELY alive.

I am running to work (vet's office NOW) and getting Milk replacer and Teat Syringe and a Heating Bag for them.

What else can I do I think I am going to have to feed them myself.

Scarlett will not take them, He milk is mostly goner i think as her babies are 4 1/2 weeks old and She just ignored them and was puffing at them so I didn't leave them in there.

What DO I do for them, do i mix anything extra with the milk replacer.

oh yes and 1 Bub has passed over the bridge already :cry3:

Oh no... poor bubs... you are going to have to feed them then. But keep trying to put mom on them. Hopefully she'll take. Your vet will know what is best to feed them.

Get the babies warm.....then give them some of the kitten milk......if it is the liquid stuff give as is.......give the babies a small amount each.....small frequent meals are best...after each meal rub their genitals gently to get them to go to the bathroom.......I would leave them in with Kahlua and hopefully she will continue to clean them......Start suplimenting her meals with lots of extra food, eggs, ensure etc.....maybe she is not making enough milk?

Ok, I just got back from the vets.

I took Kahlua as well as she seemed depleted as well, The vet looked at the babies and told me to give Milk Replacer, with some Insure or Baby cereal mixed in, Instead of water to mix it with she said I could try Pedialite too, if needed. She then looked at Kahlua, She said that she has hardly any Milk from what she can tell. She said asked if Kahlua was eating.

I told her she get Lab Blocks Free feed, and either a Mix of Baby Cereal, Ensure or Some Baby food with the Cereal. She also gets Veggies and fruit. She has been eatting but not as much as my other rats. She only Picks at things, and she laps the Baby cereal and stuff up but other then that it takes her a while to eat everything else i figured if she was leaving some she was full, even though she is a little underweight too, vet thinks a underlying issue with her and the babies but not for sure yet....but the vet was conserned that the father of the babies was either her Brother which is most likey or her Dad, The lady I rescued them from said 2 of the brothers got out and in to the girls cage so i say it was a brother and she was conserned the babies may not be developing correctly due to imbreeding as kahlua parents were from a pet store the lady I got the from said, and her daughter brought them home and they were likely in the same group at the pet store so they may have been siblings too.

kahlua is on lots of Ensure and cereal now and stuff, I think she was thin too from not eatting herself as much as she could, Like I said she had it in there but was just Picking at it....and still trying to feed the babies, but she is only with them maybe 50% of the time, most of the time she is laying off in another corner so I thought she wasn't caring enough for them.

Vet said to feed her what I know she will eat all of that way she is eatting enough and feed the babies myself, as She herself needs to gain weight too. She said I can put the babies in once in a while for kahlua to see if she can or will feed but she just didn't seem to have any Milk left.

I will stimulate them to go potty, but they are 11 days old now? They cannot go on there own...I swore Scarletts bubs did go on there own at that age.

By the way I lose a Total of 5 babies already, the 4 really week barly there babies i talked about in post 1, didn't make it even with the warm heating pad and the food I got into them. :sad3:

I hope I can help the last 9 babies, some are already more active with the heat and eating from the syringe perfectly others are more week and are trying to spit most of it out.

Hope it works out ok for te remaining babies.
They still need to be in with their mom ... she may not be able to feed them but can still do all the other things rats need their moms for.
Another option is to try to find a nursing mom and get her and her babies.

Thank you everyone for the Prayers....I am sad to report that 2 more have passed, I am trying hard to get the food in them , some hold right on the syringe and will eat alot others want nothing to do with it, those are the ones that are passing. I get some into them but they just spit it out.

The dr. Said not all may live, expecially if there is something unlying, like a sickness or somthing or maybe deformaties. So if any live then that is Great, but if not, I understand I cannot save them all.

But I do try my hardest!!

I will keep you updated

I do have another Nursing Mom Scarlett, but she will not take them, she Puffed up and started scratching at them and then she ran off, So i took them out again. I tryed again about 20 minutes ago and nothing she did the same, after running off I left them there and came back about 15 mins later and she was off in the other corner, sleeping and nursing her bubs I tried to add them in there but then she moved, and her bubs all ran off.

I have to agree with SQ, you have to find a nursing mom with babies that are around the same age, otherwise the mother will nt accept them. I hope the best for the little bubs...

Ok, I can breath now, I ran to watertown again, and my only solution to find a nursing mom was to stop at the pet stores in town. Now I dont normally support buying animals from the pet store, but in this case It was a Emergency, a girl I used to work with about 2 yrs ago, works at the counter in the Pet Zone shop in the Mall. It was either here or Petco and Petco didn't I knew wouldn't give me any that had babies....so I went in and Talked to sam as We worked together a long while, and we are good friends. I told her my situation and asked her if she had ANY female that had Babies. She said they had 2 but the babies were almost 2 weeks old in 1 litter and the other has babies about 4 weeks old. I asked if I could get the mom and younger Babies.

She said normally, they don't sell the pregnant rats or the ones that have babies. She told me the manager was on his 2 week vacation and will be back Friday, He isn't aware that they had a second rat with babies.

Sam told me that the Rat was brought in by someone moving from fort drum and it came in nice and plump she said, They normally don't take rats in from local people, but sam was going to keep her. sam said her boyfriend wasn't happy about the rat or the babies and he said she had to take them back. so She had planned on telling the manager she came in the last shipment of rats and had babies as soon as she came in.
Instead she said She would give her to me and No one but me and her would know about her or the babies.

My friend Sam is great, and really doesn't like working at the petstore even though they have more Fish then anything really they rarely have rats, Mice, Rabbits or anything, They specialize in Fish, and supplies. They do however sell puppies and she hates that, she is looking for another job but is the assistant manager and right now it pays the bills.

She ran outback and got her, she was a Pretty Brown (Dark brown but not black) Dumbo, rex coat, She looks so much like Elvis, one of the girls I got from Templetonrats and adopted out to my Co worker with another Girl I rescued, that I had to call her as soon as I left, she told me elvis was in the middle of snack time, lol and she was at No petstore, so I guess its just a remarkable resemblace. Of course a Brown Dumbo Rex is probably common. She only had 5 Little Bubs with her. She was bigger then Elvis though. Older I think maybe 6-7 Months old.

I brought her and the babies home and put the babies left from Kahlua Only 6 :sad3: and she started feeding them. No issues

Thank the Lord...anyway I hope they all make it at least I know they are getting Food now, and are in with a Mom at least.

Once Kahlua is clear of any sickness and is proven healthy and up to weight she will go to her new home that was waiting for her along with scarlett and the one PEW I had.

I Wil post Pics tonight sometimes. Once all the babies are grown i will rehome mom and the babies too.

lilratsy43 said:
Congrats!

I bet those 5 new babies will be to die for! Possible rex or dumbo, but more likely rex...

They are PRETTY I am post Pics in a Minute, Mom looked just like Elvis :nod:
Actually its Weird, I wonder if My friend Same orinigally has both Moms and litters together and just grabed her and what ever babies she was sitting on, as None of the Babies are Rex or Dumbo, I mean Dumbo is unlikely but Rex is usually Dom. Trait. even thought out of 10 babies I have seen only 4 be rex 1 time, in Vet office....so maybe these babies just aren't rexy, anyway I know she had 2 moms with litters Maybe the either litter wasn't as old as she thought??? or maybe I heard her wrong? I know she mentioned she had few more Babies but only 5 remained. She said she ate a few right after having them.

So here are some Photo, this is "New" Mom, Dubbed Mocha Latte'

These are the 5 Bubs she had.

These are the Remaining Bubs from Kahlua's Litter Alot of them Crossed the Bridge, but Hopefully these Guys Pull Through.

I have Named her Bubs, Same told me they were Born on June 10th she is Pretty Sure, so They are 2 weeks old.

Blazed Black Varigated (F)-Hershey
Blazed Black Varigated (F)- Java

Blazed Black VariBerk (M) - Kocoa

Blazed Beige Berkshire (F)- Caramel

Black Hooded (M)- Oreo

Kahlua Babies are 3 of the Hooded Boys ( I can tell by the Markings and 1 Blue Boy I know the 2 girls Passed) and There are 2 of the Blacks they are so Weak I didn't want to Try messing with them to tell. boy or girl yet, i will check in a few days if they make it. Some are still very Weak, I have also been helping feeding them a little extra but I am not sure if it will help.

Cross your Fingers for them.

I know you've found a solution but hows moms water? Popcorn stopped producing milk as well (thank heavens we only lost 1) and she just couldn't get at her water properly. Maybe something to check into?

Back