I made a horrible mistake with Momo's euthanasia..

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandon

I know this is probably too late to be upset about but in responding to theGoldenrat's thread and researching a little on humane euthanasia, I discovered that injections to the liver are painful and inhumane!

That's how I let my vet put Momo to sleep!! Granted, she was given a heavy dose of anesthetic beforehand and was basically comatose.. but what if Momo was in pain in her last moments?! I'm having enough trouble getting over Momo's death without this weighing on me ><

did the vet check for reflexes? was she truly out of it? if so, she would not have felt anything.

that's the idea behind medicating them in advance

if she was properly medicated, the vet could have done a heart stick and she would not have felt anything

The sedation shot they use is enough to knock them out for surgery. She didn't feel it. Yes, we prefer sedation shot, gas, shot to heart. I have also had the sedation shot and then final shot in a leg vein - that worked just fine too. Don't beat yourself up over the second shot.

The sedation shot they use is enough to knock them out for surgery. She didn't feel it. Yes, we prefer sedation shot, gas, shot to heart. I have also had the sedation shot and then final shot in a leg vein - that worked just fine too. Don't beat yourself up over the second shot.

She wasnt injected with anything beforehand. My vet uses a gas chamber that works well. Not ideal but Momo never got scared being in it so I'm not particularly worried about the sedative.

I don't know if he checked for reflexes but he tilted the chamber a bit and Momo just kind of slid down like she was dead.. She was definitely out of it, and probably slipped into that state painlessly

I'm glad the shot didn't hurt her. This is a huge relief to me >< The only other thing I feel bad about is that I wanted to try the face mask to put her under first, cause I wanted her to be in my arms while she faded, and it scared her for a few moments and she had a scared poop... but that's about it.

She wasnt injected with anything beforehand. My vet uses a gas chamber that works well. Not ideal but Momo never got scared being in it so I'm not particularly worried about the sedative.

I don't know if he checked for reflexes but he tilted the chamber a bit and Momo just kind of slid down like she was dead.. She was definitely out of it, and probably slipped into that state painlessly

I'm glad the shot didn't hurt her. This is a huge relief to me >< The only other thing I feel bad about is that I wanted to try the face mask to put her under first, cause I wanted her to be in my arms while she faded, and it scared her for a few moments and she had a scared poop... but that's about it.

She went peacefully and the gas sedated her quickly. You did the right thing. We've all done something we've regretted or thought we did wrong. Just remember all the good and I'm sure they outweigh the bad ...

I'm sure your rat was fully sedated with the gas. My vet gases first and then does the injection to the heart. They don't feel a thing.

Back