I just need to vent

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petunia

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
the city where I live is suffering from a rash of burglaries, often while people are HOME
these are happening at all times of the day and night

everyone is on edge.
there's also armed robberies of stores etc all the time now too, this kind of crime is unusual for this area.

yesterday we heard about a new crime spree, teenagers are grabbing ppls cell phones out of their pocket and out of their hands downtown, even pushing ppl on the ground etc to get their phones
:redhot:

yesterday a pawn shop near me was robbed by a guy with a gun, what idiot thinks a pawn shop owner isnt' going to have his own gun???? the owner and other employees pulled out their guns and chased the guy through the neighborhood
Police are still out there because the would be thief tossed the gun and they haven't found it yet

I"m hoping it's not loaded, there's a lot of kids in this neighborhood.

anyway, with all this going on, I've got jerks for neighbors who are throwing garbage off their 2nd and 3rd floor porches, and leaving it at the bottom of my back stairs

and just other stuff that makes me so angry I don't even want to talk about it

so i just need to blow off some steam
this is me blowing off steam:

:rant: :redhot: :redhot: :rant: :redhot: :rant:
Hmm I'm not sure I look all that good in red :lol:

I'm not sleeping much because of all this stuff, and I spend most of my time checking out my windows, esp when I"m home and there's no one else in the bldg

just srsly people? can you stop with all the BS
life is hard enough these days without all this extra crap

I'm in and out of afib all the time now, from the stress.

:gaah:

but at least I have my WatchCats!!
:giggle:

014-4.jpg

WatchKitties on Duty

and in case you're wondering, yes that IS a row of 4 large litter boxes next to the cat tree :giggle:

Oh no. That's horrible. Is your city a big city? Sounds like what I've been reading for Detroit.
Time to move cities!

eta... love watch cats!

jorats said:
Oh no. That's horrible. Is your city a big city? Sounds like what I've been reading for Detroit.
Time to move cities!

eta... love watch cats!

no, it's not an especially large city although its' the largest one in this state. I actually moved up here to get away from the crime where I lived in MA, it was constant stress. However there is still far more crime in MA than there is here, and it's too expensive living in MA

there's only one other city in this state that has any kind of reasonable bus service and I don't know anyone there. My family is here. Not that I could afford to move, anyway

but I finally left the house! I"m so proud of myself. It's stupid, really, I dont have anything that anyone would steal but the idea of someone being in my home while I'm not here really creeps me out.
Or coming home and finding someone here!

yeh my watch kitties are great! Nell will let me know if there's another cat outside :roll: :lol:
and Willow will run and hide if anyone shows up at the door, so they are kinda like watch dogs :giggle:

it'll be ok.

You should have your doorbell rigged with a recording of dogs barking. That would deter them. Or once in a while play a video of dogs barking really loud.

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/c-150- ... px#Filter=[pagenum=1*ava=0] They have a bar you can lock your window with, but obviously that will not help if they break it. You can also get latched to attach that only allow your window to go up so far.

Home depot has some cheap window/door alarm.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... =SearchAll

The best thing to do when outside is to always look around and be conscious of your surroundings. Walk briskly to your destination. Robbers tend to not pick people that are paying attention.

I don't think you physically can, but I would haul that garbage right back up and put it in front of their doors! Oh wait, I can't physically do that right now either, but that's a whole different issue! Try to stay calm and don't let these jacka**es ruin/run your life. Take care :cuddle:

That's AWFUL!! :shock:
In the last week on my street about 7 people had there property tagged by some assholes. :rant:
My next door neighbours lovely brick wall, a neighbours van, another's whole windshield covered, a brand new fence ruined and another's defaced.
What in the heck are people thinking these days?
I have been watching but I have seen nothing.
I hope that these stupid people get caught and charged.
1000 hours of community service cleaning up highways, graffiti and garbage should teach them a lesson. :redhot:

that's awful Sharlee! we haven't had anyone tagging in this neighborhood for a long time, although a lot of the property owners never bothered to paint over the tags that are there, so looking out my kitchen window, I feel like I'm in a ghetto LOL
but yeh, srsly, what is wrong with ppl?

I have my moments when I imagine really bad things happening to the ppl that do stuff like this. It takes the edge off a bit LOL and no one gets hurt, but damn, I even feel bad for thinking of stuff like that.
I don't know how ppl can live with themselves when they do these kinds of things!

I get that here too, nh&maine got hit hard w/the loss of jobs...its just as bad rural, just as many crackheads too. happily armed&taking no bull here. as for neighbors, im in bad neighbor hell too. use the door bars when your home, be aware of who the landlord gives your key to, don't ever let workmen fron the llord be in your home unsupervised...as for neighbors, try anonymous code enforcement &get it on film. I hope your not alone, but I know what its like if you are. dowels can be put in windows to keep them from opening, half sized ones for when you have a fan or ac in. a strip of duct tape keeps them in place&out of view. lights or radio on timers&motion sensor music/lights like the holiday kind are good...tractor supply has solar motion lights if you have a private deck...

I guess I am lucky - I live in a small town right now, so most stuff is breaking into cars and stealing your change and sunglasses. I do have an alarm on my car, so I haven't been hit yet, although my hubby was because he forgot to lock his car. Duh!
Growing up we lived in a crappy part of the city, but we always had dogs so even though our van got hit over a dozen times, our house never did. Not because the dogs were big, but because they would bark. And someone was usually home.
I would go with the beware of dog sign, and also put some chewed up dog toys and maybe a dog water dish and food bowl with some kibble in it, in an area when if someone was peeking in the door/window they would see it. BIG dog toys, BIG bowl. LOL You have to think of it like acting. Change the level of food, spill a little on the floor. You want to convince people a big dog is there even if they don't hear one. (The dangerous ones don't bark!)
:)

ltukey said:
I get that here too, nh&maine got hit hard w/the loss of jobs...its just as bad rural, just as many crackheads too. happily armed&taking no bull here. as for neighbors, im in bad neighbor hell too. use the door bars when your home, be aware of who the landlord gives your key to, don't ever let workmen fron the llord be in your home unsupervised...as for neighbors, try anonymous code enforcement &get it on film. I hope your not alone, but I know what its like if you are. dowels can be put in windows to keep them from opening, half sized ones for when you have a fan or ac in. a strip of duct tape keeps them in place&out of view. lights or radio on timers&motion sensor music/lights like the holiday kind are good...tractor supply has solar motion lights if you have a private deck...

yes ltukey it's just me and my animals. would be nice if I had neighbors I could count on but as it turns out, the neighbors are the main problem most of the time.

oh yes about the keys!!!- when I moved in, all of the tenant's spare apt keys were in the basement, tucked under a duct for my furnace.

I'm like, really?!?! so any other tenant can go down there, take the key to your apt, get it copied, and return the spare and then get into your apt any time you're not home! or just take the key and not return it, whatever.
it was the stupidest damn thing I'd ever seen. The landlord wanted the 3rd floor tenant, this guy "D" who does work for him, to have access to the keys. Well D is one of the other tenants causing trouble for me. there's no way I want him having a key to my apt.

anyway one of my doors had no key so I changed the lock out when I moved in, and I changed the lock for the other door, as well, since I didn't want the guy upstairs having a key to my place, and who knows who else had it by then since the spare was in the basement.
I sent a move in inspection list to the landlord (listing all existing damages so that I wouldn't get charged for them when I move out) and I also told him at that time that I had changed the locks.
Didn't re key them, that's too expensive, just took the locks out and put in new ones.
Which is what most landlords do when someone moves out, they change the locks.
Not this guy, he didn't even care that there was no key for one of the doors. That was nuts!

so anyway, I should request a dead bolt, I noticed that the lady right about me, M, who is causing the MOST trouble for me, she got a dead bolt on her door.
It isn't really a big deal, though, because the door to my apt is on backwards- the hinges are on the outside.
Anyone who really wanted to get in can just take the door off the hinges. :roll: :roll:

my last place was like this too but I was on the 3rd floor and no one, I mean NO ONE :lol: wants to bother going up to the 3rd floor unless they are sure its worth it.
I rarely had visitors, no one wanted to walk up "all those stairs" :laugh4:
I actually miss having the stairs, I was in better shape aerobically. The stairs in that place were way too steep, though, and I fell down them too many times to count

anyway I am looking around for another place, but it's hard to find any non smoking bldgs that also allow pets. IN fact it's hard to find any place that allows pets now.

oh Joanne, I actually use a large dogs bowl for my cats!! as far as any one looking in, I make sure no one can look in. I have my windows covered on the bottom half with sheets of coroplast (I use that stuff for everything) I only remove it when I want to let the cats look out, while I'm home and can watch the windows.
It's really absurd that I have to live like this.
I've done it before though, lived in much worse places. but I'm getting old and everything really is harder when you can't move as fast or as well as you used to.
Cuz if I could run, I'd be running this jerks off! instead of them trying to run me off.

I gotta get new locks now, because in a moment of weakness I gave the landlord a set of spare keys to the new locks, and while he said he wouldn't give them to the other tenant, I have no reason to trust that he didn't.
the landlord lives an hour away, so he says he needs someone closer to have a key in an emergency. I pointed out that in a TRUE emergency all you need to do is take the pins out and take the door off it's hinges.
he tells me he needs the key in case of a fire
hello? if there's a fire, the fire dept isn't going to wait around for someone with a key to let them in. Unless its' a very small fire, and even then.......
:roll: :gaah:

Back