I just adopted rat with head tilt

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angieluv

My shelter has had a sweet little guy with head tilt for several weeks now. We don't have a vet at our shelter and it often takes time to get the animals into the rotating vets on call ..
The kennel operations manager was going to call last week and I was going to take him last Fri. but somehow that didn't happen as she didn't get the call made
This morning she called me and told me that the shelter couldn't afford to spend $$ on this rat right now as we have a lot of other healthy rats.
I have been spending a lot of time with this guy as he is very sweet and looks like the one, (Merlin,) that I just adopted.
I wanted a pal for Merlin but since Merlin still has a very slight respiratory issue I have postponed getting him a friend.
Well the kennels operation manager was talking about euthanasia ( I am the small animal volunteer ) so I always get upset over that ; it happens rarely.
Well to make a long story short I adopted Mickey and he is here now. Mickey has a tilt but doesn't have other symtpoms . he is not off balance. Sneezes now and then but even that is not often.
I cannot get a vet appt till Tues afternoon and I am trying a new vet as I cannot get baytril from the other one.
I have been reading about tilt so I thought that since he has been untreated for so long that i would start treatment myself until i can get to the vet ( some of the meds were Merlin's and some were for my bunnies)
I am giving him doxcycline. baytril (my sacred stash) and I just gave him a dose of metacam after reading the thread re. another rat with tilt.
is there anything else i should be doing? I am really not 100% sure how to dose metacam so I probably gave him less than he should have
he is active, curious and eating but just tilted.
Maureen

I adopted a rat with a head tilt. The owner said he was born like that? I took him to the vet and did a run of baytril and even Dex. Nothing changed. Vet said he had the infection for too long a time. House acts like any normal rat although he has trouble going down from high objects. Good luck with your rattie.

Head tilt seems to be getting common in rats. And rats adapt so well with it too...
CongRATS!!! to you for adopting this special little guy.

my little Squirt I adopt about 1.5yr ago was a fine little baby, then after two months he had a severe bought of Mico..ever since, yepper, head tilt... he is a perfectly good ratty and the tilty thing does bother unless he is in his hammock and i offer a treat from the top of the cage as he is trying to reach it he often gets turned around...lol

Back