I got new babies!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hprats

I got some cute little rat babies
Here they are cuddling each other
IMAG0172.jpg

And here (with a cute feet picture)
IMAG0169.jpg

Rattie smile
IMAG0165.jpg

This boy's blaze makes him an obvious Harry
IMAG0167.jpg

I haven't settled on the other's name. Either Remus or Cedric.
They are sooo sweet and I can't get over how soft their fur is.

lilspaz68 said:
They are lovely, are these the babies from the 6 up for adoption? What's happening to the other 4? Were they an oops litter?

Yep, accidental litter she said. I don't know how she missed the boy/girl difference, but she said she's separated them now (although I didn't see the parents :S).
The other boys seem okay, but she's not really asking questions about where they're going, though I did say I had other rats in my first message to her, so I don't know if she would have asked if they were for food if I hadn't. The apartment smelled a little smokey but my boys have no sign of respiratory problems or other problems. I don't think they've been handled much, but they already like me and haven't bitten, they just don't like being picked up, but they like stroking and attention.

I really don't think it's something she'll do again though, she's a high schooler (pretty sure on that) living with her parents, and there were definitely no signs of a larger operation in the works. Just the 6 boys in a good sized bird cage and no noticeable rat smell (I was looking for that actually).

I had to bring them to work with me last night, and everyone was like "eeew" and then "ohhh cute." It was good bonding for us though. before getting them into their new little cage.

One quick question though. I still haven't gotten Fred neutered. I know I need to wait a few weeks until these boys are bigger to introduce them, but do you think it'd be better to start introductions with all 5 when I do, or try and introduce them either to a neutered Fred or Peter and Albus first?

jorats said:
Super adorable!
They are 8 weeks old, you could start to intro now if you like.

Ahh they seem way too teeny for that to me! Seriously, my boys look and feel like giants after I've been holding these little guys. Because I don't have that much experience (and I've never had ratties this tiny!), I definitely want to wait a little while, but good to know I don't have to wait 3 weeks (I thought waiting til 12 weeks was best).

You could start intros now by switching cloths so they get used to one anothers smell
I wouldn't wait any longer then 10 or 11 weeks to start physical intros ... it will be easier if they are still babies.

Thaaaaanks everyone! :heart:
I do have links...and more pictures! Now I'm confused though. I've been sticking in old clothes with the new boys' scents on it into the old boys' cage/room. Fred is totally fine with it but PETER is puffing up and rubbing himself everywhere like crazy. I think I'm going to have Peter neutered instead of Fred. I know I may need to end up having Fred neutered right after, but Peter just seems so much more manly than Fred does, and he was the one who started the aggression, he's the only one who's ever bit a person, and he is the big puff ball. When I gave up on intros last time, it was Fred who was the problem, but for all I know it was in response to Peter. I've scheduled the neuter for Tuesday April 10 (and a check-up for the new boys (actually, I just had to call back and move that up, I've heard them sneezing and I think Harry has a sniffle). I think I'm going to start physical intros between them and Fred either Sunday or Monday. If that doesn't go well, I'll try it with Peter and Albus. Whichever goes best, I'll continue and then neuter the other. Albus is very relaxed and submissive, so I'm not worried about him.

Anyway, new boys!

I took them out onto the couch. I think it was their first time ever out in the open. At first they were TERRIFIED, jumping at every loud noise

IMG_1609.JPG

(which surprised me because they'd been totally relaxed and brave in the carrier, their cage, and on my shoulder)
IMG_1588.JPG
After a while, Harry relaxed enough to eat,
IMG_1612.JPG

and once Remus saw his brother eating, he had to have some too
IMG_1620.JPG
Then, Remus took a great interest in me and started leaping off the couch onto my shoulder. :heart: :heart: :heart:, and then crawling back to the couch on my arm/bridge. Eventually Harry followed him...not with a leap but by crawling up my arm/bridge.

Oh, and just because I found this on my camera...it's from months ago, Peter grooming while waiting for his bedding to come back from the laundry!
IMG_1560.JPG

(Links to what I posted before. If the links don't load again, you should be able to see them by right clicking and choosing either open image in new tab or copy image url and pasting it into the address bar :): https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/--J1w ... AG0165.jpg, https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-bKPg ... AG0169.jpg, https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-tiMf ... AG0172.jpg)

Back