I caved... *intro pics pg3.*

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jorats said:
Awwww... your Butter Bean was a sweetie!

He and jeramy were my first ratties.
Butter bean only lived a year but what a year it was.
He would sit curled up on my chest and climb on my shoulder to groom my eyebrows and face.
Butter Bean also spent hours "grooming" his man parts. lol
I still miss him after almost 5 years.
He was so sweet and goofy looking. :hugs:

You didn't cave, you collapsed! :giggle: To the benefit of all those babes. Hey, that's so totally understandable after the awfulness you went thru with the illness - it's called Reaffirmation of Life!
I'm so glad that horror is behind you all and these little guys won a life-saving lottery. Congratulations to you and all of them!

Jo, you did good. :hugs: Those sweeties are going to have the time of their lives! Yesterday I had the pleasure to cuddle with Turk and he is a doll! :heart: Lucky me I get to visit them everyday! :dance:

So now I have Turk living with the young boys Magnum and Marshall. Still doing intros with the big blonds.

I'm very disappointed with my SPCA. Turk was in a decent size cage for a single, but he was on pine and had seed mix. I know they depend mostly on donations but man. It still kills me when I see that. The three blonds were in one of those small super pet 3 level green cage, one I would use only for babies but that's not so bad because they are in an SPCA. But the cage. Oh god. It was filthy. Absolutely filthy. I didn't want to put my hand in there to grab the boys, there was squished poop everywhere. :( The girl even apologized when she saw the cage. "We didn't clean the cage yet". Uh... ya, looks like it's been a few days too. Then they tell me that only one of the volunteers will touch the rats. There was actually another volunteer there telling me how much she hates rats and how gross they are. :shock: really? You are going to say that to me, the one adopting all four. Nice.

The SPCA is the same here ...most of the people there are afraid of the rats! and they will only keep rats there for a two day max, and if the small animal rescue cannot take them then their gone :(

Ugh, those poor poor boys...no wonder you took them!!! It was meant to be :heart:

Turk living with the wee manrats is just lovely. I expect a lot of pics of this happy event :joy:

Fidget said:
You didn't cave, you collapsed! :giggle:

I wanted to post a comment in that mindset, but couldn't find the right way to word it - there it is!!! I totally agree with that, Fidget! :giggle:

lilspaz68 said:
She needed to collapse after the loss of wonderful Gera. :heart:

This is true. I had so many losses and after Gera, it was it for me. I needed a pick me up. I needed purpose. Wonderful Gera still doing his magic from beyond, he made me rescue those rats. :heart:

Yesterday was day 2, much the same of nothing going on. I decided to do it in the rat room since everything is neutral for them at this point.
One of the blonds is alpha but by this day I had not identified which one, just not Butter Bean. I wasn't sure about Turk, if he was alpha-ish or not.
Intro2.jpg

Since the move in with the babies, Turk is more dominant but not very. He is trying to make friends but those poor little babies are so stressed out by his presence. Turk is definitely an older rat but more gentle than anything else. He's trying to be a good example to the boys, but the babies aren't getting it. He gets a bit pouffy with them but not much, he has to do something cause the babies keep opening their mouth to him. But he still squeezes in between them, moving very slow and deliberate, showing them there's nothing to worry about. Marshall (agouti) is more brave and more welcoming but that Magnum is so scared, he seems to drag Marshall down with him into the pit of deep dark despair. We'll change that... Turk will reach them I'm sure.

Today was intro 3 and as I expected, some scuffles. I now know that Storm is alpha of everyone and Butter Bean is beta. Remember these boys are 9 months old right at the peak of being dominant and possible aggressive. But nope... no aggression at all. When I dominated Storm, he did at one point put his teeth on me but didn't bite down. Stopped himself. Wow, that really made me proud of him. After that first dominance, he allowed me to do all the other ones but it feels like there's no need for me to do that. He needs to do his thing and tell everyone that he's the man. But... poor old Turk. He don't like Storms. lol So this might take a little longer because Turk has everyone worried now with his crazy jumps in the air and death screeches. Jake... wonderful boy so far. Day 4 should be interesting.

Day 3: little Magnum in the corner with Butter Bean, Storm giving a bully chat to Marshall and Jake listening in.
intro3.jpg

Wow! where have I been?! :shock: You've got yourself a stable of gorgeous manrats!!! :heart: I'm in love with them all, it that possible?! :thud:

I am reading and taking notes on your intros cuz mine are not going very well, so keep them pictures and intro dialogue coming, your reports are an invaluable source of information! :nod:

Congrats!!! :hugs:

Momofmany, check out my intro videos on YouTube. Search for jorats. There might be more helpful info there for you.
And thanks for that last comment. :)

Back