I blame SQ - Update RIP Boomer

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I scrubbed his cage, put fleece in the bottom and gave him an igloo and a hammock but he still prefers to sleep in the corner. On the plus side he has stopped whimpering every time we touch him. :joy: He is all set up now we just need to convince him we're OK. Here are some photos of him in his cage (sorry for the crappy phone pics), did I mention that he came with the cage, three dishes and a water bottle all for the amazing price of 10$. And we have named him Boomer, when I asked the what his name was they laughed and said he didn't have one, my kids actually agreed on Boomer so Boomer it is. Here comes the BOOM!

Oh, thanks SO much for posting some photos of Boomer. I (as well as the rest of the forum) am so happy he is with you now. So, did you ask these people how or why they had him in the first place? They laughed that he would even have a name (grrrrrr) so obviously they were not thinking of him as a pet. Why did they have him then? :sad3:

I am looking forward to new updates on how our little Boomer is doing. So happy to hear he has a decent home now. :hugs:

I'm sure he'll come around quickly when he learns you are the giver of very yummy treats and snuggles!

My ratties won't sleep on an open hammock - they like to have a roof over their head. How about a cube or something for the little man?

My boys love their jumbo plastic igloo that you can find at pet stores or online. They also like their hammock that has a pocket in it so they can snuggle inside the pocket. They also have that thing that I think is called a Critter Pod that can either stand on its own three legs or hang the other way by its legs from the ceiling grates of their housing.

So happy to see Boomer in his new home. I love the pretty blue blankie under him. So soft and comforting for him. Can't wait to get some updates on how our sweet boy is doing! :hugs:

Boomer is really settling in, he was in the igloo when I came home from work. When I cleaned his cage I took out the big hammock and replaced it with a pocket hammock, we'll see how that goes over. This evening during out time he curled up on my chest and was bruxing and boggling, he still whimpers if we make any sudden movements, he sounds like a puppy that needs to go outside. He is very shy and not aggressive at all.

Tonight when I was petting him I found a lump/bump on his hip on the back left. It is between a pea and a marble in size, it is hard and moves around when I move it I am hoping that it is an abscess, the only abscesses I've had experience with came from bites so they were already open, if it is an abscess how long would it take to open?

Here are some more photos (is he a dumbo?)

Even though it looks like it she is not squeezing.

PandBoomer_zpsad645296.jpg

Oh, I could just cry with joy at seeing Boomer being loved and part of your wonderful family. And yes, he is a dumbo for sure! Dumbos are sooo sweet...I have had them before and there is something so innocent and precious looking about those low wide ears on a ratty. Just melts me every time.

I could not get over that last photo of you and Boomer and your daughter. Boomer already looks like he has been part of your family for years. :hugs:

There must be so many things he is just happily amazed by that he never experienced before...an igloo to curl up in, a pocket hammock (heck, the poor baby did not even have a plain hammock before or anything at all to hide in for that feeling of safety), being held and stroked and kissed and interacting with his new people, healthy food, being cared for in so many ways...I am not in the least surprised that he is bruxing and boggling. Boomer knows he has found happiness and love at long last. :cloud9: SO relieved and happy that you found him and rescued him from his old life, truly. Your daughter looks like she is being so gentle with him in that photo too.

A quick P.S....do you think Boomer might be making those crying/whimper sounds due to the lump you found on him? Do his sounds coincide with the times you pick him up or touch him, or does that seem unrelated? I am not quite sure what to make of that lump.

Vladina said:
A quick P.S....do you think Boomer might be making those crying/whimper sounds due to the lump you found on him? Do his sounds coincide with the times you pick him up or touch him, or does that seem unrelated? I am not quite sure what to make of that lump.

Its only when we pick him up or make sudden movements. Even if we are just petting his head. I was feeling/playing with the lump and he didn't make a peep.

victoria said:
Your daughter really has a way with rats :heart:

She really does you would think with her being a princess she wouldn't but she just loves them, even when Kiki bit her really hard a few times she would scream bloody murder and then 10 minutes later she'd be right back there with him. She's always willing to help me clean the cage, she helped me when I was giving meds for lice and even helped clean out the abscesses. Except she keeps begging to get a girl, she doesn't understand where babies come from yet, :cheeky:

Well, that is a relief that the bump does not appear to cause signs of pain, so that's good. Your daughter definitely sounds like a very caring and attentive animal lover, that is terrific! She looks so sweet with Boomer in that first photo. Please be sure to send Boomer my best well wishes and some hugs and kisses. :hugs:
My husband dittos that! His heart sank when he saw that first photo of Boomer in his cage with nothing else in it. He has been worried and sad about the whole thing so he will just LOVE the new photos of Boomer with his first ever loving family. :joy:

victoria said:
Your daughter really has a way with rats :heart:

She really does you would think with her being a princess she wouldn't but she just loves them, even when Kiki bit her really hard a few times she would scream bloody murder and then 10 minutes later she'd be right back there with him. She's always willing to help me clean the cage, she helped me when I was giving meds for lice and even helped clean out the abscesses. Except she keeps begging to get a girl, she doesn't understand where babies come from yet, :cheeky:[/quote]

Ya know females can be spayed, right? And we have tons of young girls right now. I'm going to make a post tonight.

victoria said:
Ya know females can be spayed, right? And we have tons of young girls right now. I'm going to make a post tonight.

You're bad, my husband and co-workers already call me the rat lady (except my husband adds crazy)!

Mairead said:
victoria said:

You're bad, my husband and co-workers already call me the rat lady (except my husband adds crazy)!

Haha, sorry :p Everyone thinks I'm a crazy rat lady also.

If you took Boomer in to the vet's, they could do a FNA (fine needle aspiration) to see what is in the lump. Abscess/cyst/tumour are potentials.

:joy: So glad that you got him!! Now he'll find out what love is.

SQ should be selling mansions, BMWs or yachts.... she'd make a fortune. Long ago i lost count of the number of rats she's talked me into.

Just got around to seeing your latest pics of Boomer... :thud: What a big, lovingly squeezable boy! He looks so relaxed on the pictures, I'm sure he'll stop worrying in no time. And I REALLY hope that lump is nothing. Poor boy deserves some quiet happiness from now on!

Love the family photos. Easy to see that rats really are a part of the family! :heart:

Back