Humane Way to Put Down?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JaF

So I really, really didn't want it to come to this but my poor baby Sylas has had multiple strokes/seizures( I don't know the difference) since Monday morning and is doing horrible. She isn't moving, eating, drinking, etc. She just lays on her side doing nothing but occasionally spasming. I know that mentally she's gone but for some reason, my girl is still hanging on. I can't keep watching this and I don't want to make her keep going through this. Is there any way to put her down humanely without her feeling it? Or should I try and see if my vet will do it. I don't know if I can take her to the vet(I still live with my parents and they'd have to agree and this isn't something they think necessary/important, unfortunately).

I wouldn't be asking this if I thought there was any chance of helping her at all. She's two and a half and my other two went within 2 weeks of each other last month. It's been a really rough week so any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Your vet should do it. She needs gas until unconscious to a surgical level, THEN they inject into her heart. It's VERY painful and cruel to do it without anesthetic. Some vets don't charge much if you take the body with you. Call around to different vets (even non exotic) and get quotes. It's really important to do it ASAP so she doesn't suffer more. Trust me, that's not how you'll want your last memories of her.

Thank you for the advice, I was going to call the vet in the morning but Sylas passed about an hour ago. I appreciate the explanation, I didn't know how they went about it.

I'm so sorry for your loss. At least she's at peace now, and you don't have to worry about her being in pain or anything.

Back