Hubby wants to sew

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moon

Don't ask me, I have nothing to do with it, but hubby has projects in mind that involve sewing vinyl. "Mainly pleating", say he. Pleating a vinyl skirt for his snowmobile maybe?? Wants it to look fancy?

He thinks he needs a "heavy duty" sewing machine, I told him he may not need a special machine, just something that can take thicker needles, but I am totally guessing at that and am probably wrong.

Any thoughts on what we should be looking for?

(he's mad at me for making fun of him in this post, LOL)

I don't have a clue about sewing, but this post is hilarious :laugh4: And my husband would get mad if I made fun of him on here too lol. Maybe your husband can sew a skirt for my husbands snowmobile lol. :laugh4:

PS my husband doesn't know my forum name so he wouldn't be able to identify me :giggle:

Good for him, wanting to take on this new skill. It sounds a little tricky to sew with vinyl, but I bet one of the hammock makers would have a good idea.

(Maybe once he's done with the vinyl, he will make you some hammocks!!)

I highly doubt you need a 'heavy duty' machine, although if he's going to be sewing through many layers at once, you might. Many machines will list the number of layers they are comfortable with, and something that isn't crappy and cheap will probably do you just fine. Pleating vinyl? I want to see the pictures of his kilt when he's done...

MomRat said:
Pleating vinyl? I want to see the pictures of his kilt when he's done...
Oh my, even though I saw the "for his snowmobile" part, I just couldn't get the vision of a vinyl utilikilt out of my head ... :emb:

But hey, as Godmother says, maybe his new sewing obsession could swing toward a more making-ratties-happy way ...

EDIT: Of course, now I'm curious about the vinyl sewing thing, and it looks like you can use a standard machine using special tricks:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2038403_glide-smoothly-across-sewing-machine.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgLrRaFQ6T8

Of course, if your hubby really wants something ... er ... manly ... he could get something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scuTe_W1T0M

Couldn't find the price for a new one, but I found a used one on Ebay for $975.

Stay away from cheaper machines with plastic parts. You'll want something with all metal innards and the ability to use heavier needles. Personally, my favorite machine is an industrial Pfaff it can handle almost everything... but that is in my workplace. XD

I saw an industrial pfaff on kijiji for $250... but if I'm going to spend that on a machine I want it to be a pretty one on an antique table to go with my ancient house LOL

Oh god, I can just picture your hubby making his snowmobile a skirt!! And with his cooking skills, he's becoming more matronly than you! :p

(I kid I kid, Moonys hubby, I love your beer chicken!)

It depends on the thickness of the material. My husband used to work for a shoe repair shop and they did things like what Mike wants to do. He really should look into getting a more industrial machine so it can stand up to whatever he wants to give it.
Tell Mike it's actually quite sexy looking over at your man, in his apron, in front of a heavy duty machine, getting all down on sewing. LOL

moon,
I think it's great that your hubby wants to sew :)
mine does,basic sewing but still, he knows pretty much all there is to know about sewing machines too so he can sew his own sand bags for his shooting bench and whatnot...lol

as far as vinyl, I would def. try a size 16 needle and go slow, see how the machine handles it.

I have a small basic singer and I can sew multiple layers of denim or fleece etc with it, I do 99.9% of my hammOCKS with it...LOL so I would not think you need a special machine for just that single project.
also, vinyl can be glued or "velcro-ed" as well...maybe that could be an option?

Back