how to Quarantine in an apartment?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilangel

hello i might be getting two girls sometime(waiting on person) and wondered how i should go about Quaranting them in an apartment? any help would be great thanks

p.s i do not have any friends(im kind of a looner hehe) to place them there nor family(many already passed away :( ) members :(

There's no way to do a real QT in the same airspace. 90% of the illnesses a rat carries are airborne, and will travel. A rat's sneeze can travel up to 100ft or more, going through your central air ducts, or just down the hall. You can keep the new rat in another room where the resident rats don't go to prevent the spreading of mites/lice, but that's about it.

I'd say 90% of us can't do a real QT. So keeping the rats in a different room with the door shut, changing your clothes and washing your hands in between each group should help.

To add to what Jo said don't forget your footwear....very important.
New ratties may sneeze...then you walk in the room and then carry it out in the parts of the house were your other rats live and play.......so change shoes when coming out or have a disinfecting footbath made up to step in by the door......
and if you hold the new rats were a smock....and leave it in the room......

thanks guys yeah i guess a separate room will have to do for now. right now the person said someone else emailed her and they are to see them today so if they do not take she said she would call me :( i thought to help out here as their is so many free ratties on the internet and such, since i helped out machined i found rats to be my best friends hehe thanks for the help all.

Back