how old is to old

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rat_race

So heres my question. How old can a rat be spayed or neutured till.Like what age is to old. I no with dogs its not good to neuture or spay them at the age of 5 and up any ideas?

I think it would depend on their health.....as for dogs we (at our shelter) have spayed and neutered dogs at all ages.....10 or 11. Again it depends on their health......

I've had females spayed from 5 weeks to 24 months and beyond.
Age should not be factor, health is what matters. I've had rats live to 38, 39, 41, 43 months, so for me 2 years is no longer old for my gang. So if I take in a very healthy female, I will have her spayed no matter the age.
Same with a male, if he's showing signs of aggression, he will be neutered, no matter the age.
Another thing to remember especially when rescuing, most people don't know their pet's real age. A lot of the times, if their rat is say 18 months old, they will say 2 years. A lot of them don't realize that a month makes a difference. I never take people's say so when they tell me a rat's age when rescuing from them.

i was just wondering cuz were adopting a female hairless but she wont be living in the same house as the boys. cuz my fiance and i dont live togethier yet Cuz of the stupid farm leaking but anyways i wanted to no how old is to old and how young is to young just wanted to make sure so that she doesnt get sick or anything

ok so story changed some how iam now adopting 3 rescued male rats and maybe in a few weeks 2 spayed female rats who are also rescues so any ideas for names.

the males we are getting are

two rexs one is black with a white belly
the other rex is all beige

and the 3rd is a hairless fuzzy i will put pictures up

The other thing to keep in mind is that some of the health benefits of spaying (decrease in mammary tumours being the main one) are only valid up until a certain age. Once the hormones have done the damage, a late spay wont keep mammary tumours away.

Dr Munn told me not to bother spaying after 1.5 years old if my only reason is to reduce mammary tumours.

I have to disagree with Dr. Munn... I've seen it benefit my rats at all ages. Also, a spay will slow down the growth of a potential mammary tumor.

Back