how much doxy? urgent

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratsr4life

i have compounded doxy and i am not sure how much dosage to give to allie.

she is 12oz, on .06cc of baytril 2X a day.

i got the doxy from a pharmacy and they told me to give the rat .40cc 2X a day is this true????

it doesnt say what % it is, just says 14 doxycline 4mg/ml. the pharmacists gave me 3 syringes, each containing .40cc of doxy at room temp. the rest of the syringes are in the freezer. the vet said she gave me 2 weeks worth.

a little unsure, i used the rat guide instead and gave her .2cc for one dose and froze the rest of the syringes for later use.

doxy doesn't need to be frozen...keep it in the fridge, its good for 2 weeks.

Your girl weighs 340 g
doxy is 2.5-5 mg/kg (I use 5)

Because of the stupid low concentration .4 cc's is correct.

The correct dose is .47ml

.75lbs*2.5mg/lbs=1.875mg needed

1.875mg*.25ml/mg (since there is 4mg/ml each .25 ml contains 1mg)=0.468mL

Pink

ok, so ill give her the rest of the .20cc. any suggestions on what to mix it with? i would just shoot it down her mouth but she has learnt to hold it in her mouth, wait till she gets back in her cage, and dribble it out and wipe it everywhere.

how can i make it appealing?

oh i guess i found her sweet tooth: old enlgish trifle. lets hope the baytril/doxy combo works out for her, she is cold to the touch and dosent want to move much anymore :(

I buy cool whip, I put a little bit of that on a spoon, I syring the meds onto the spoon and put a little dry baby cereal on it mix it all together and let them at it. Big hit with mine especially with picky Hazel.

I hope that she will be all right. It doesn't sound good that she is cold to the touch and doesn't move much. Is her breathing noisy? If so, maybe you could get a bit of lasix (furosemide) to ease her breathing until the antibiotic takes hold. Would you be able to increase the Baytril dose a bit?

Back