how many rats could live comfortably in a 2 level FN cage?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruxxy

At the moment I have 5 girls living in a 2 level FN cage which is obviously more than enough room. But I am considering getting more ratties in the near future and I was wondering how many females could live comfortably in the cage as the last thing I want is for them to feel over crowded.

Well, Burrell, Mark, Samuel, and Joseph will tell you it is a bit small for four boys ...
but then again they have their hearts set on a three bedroom house with a nice staircase to bounce up and down ...

I think it depends on the energy level of the boys.

I have 8 boys in my FN 142. Half the population is becoming a bit elderly and prefer to nap and cuddle rather than run. The other half seems to think they should so as the elder Lords of the manor do and lay about carelessly. They wait for snack service, fresh blankies and the "lady in waiting"(thats me :wink: ) to be at their beck and call.

I wouldnt have more than ten in that cage honestly.

If all get along, I'd say 10 but the lower the better of course, gives them more room. I do like 6 but that will never happen with mine, too many rats. lol

I have 8 and they all get along famously. Of course half are older gentleman and the other half arent terribly young. Ten is a decent number, but thats the upper limit IMO. :D

I have 8 females in mine, and it seems to be great for that many. They all get along most of the time, but if they get into little fights still plenty of room to move around. I'd say 10 as the max too, I had 9 before and that seemed close to full.

Back