How long to try respiratory medication before switching or adding other meds?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AboutPetRats

My rat, Vera, was spayed yesterday. So far, she's doing great recovering from the surgery.

She does have mild respiratory disease symptoms, though, which she had prior to surgery. The vet who spayed her recommended I put her on doxycycline prior to the surgery which I started on Saturday. It's now three days later and she still has the same symptoms.

I've been under the impression that, if a rat doesn't show improvement after being on medication(s) within three days, another medication should be tried. However, the vet who spayed Vera said to keep her on the doxycycline for 30 days before trying anything else.

Previously, Vera has been on Doxycycline combined with Baytril. She was off this combination for a couple of weeks before her symptoms resumed. She also has responded well to steamy bathrooms and to nebulization.

Thirty days to me seems like too long to wait if she still has symptoms. Anyone have any opinions or experience to share?

How long are you treating her and what is the dose? I treat for 4 weeks even if things get better, I also watch and aid by herbs, fruits and veggies. You can add things to the diet to help as well, but just insure its all safe.

I would say give it 1-2 weeks, but for sure speak with your vet regularly if they are well versed in rat care

I'd get her back on Baytril asap. Surgery can be taxing on the system and even more so if she already had some raspiness to her lungs.

My vet won't even do surgery if they are showing any respiratory symptoms. She needs a combo of medications for a minimum of 6 weeks. However, don't be surprised if she becomes a lifer since she seems to have been battling this for awhile. Many of us have our babies on respiratory drugs for life. With a combo you should see improvement within a couple days, but you must complete a full 6 weeks. Hope she feels better soon.

Thanks for your responses, everyone! I do know how insidious respiratory disease can be. The vet who spayed Vera listened carefully to her lungs before deciding whether or not it was safe to do surgery. Vera has the tiniest amount of symptoms----I really do mean tiny. She seems to be improving, symptom-wise, and is recovering well from her surgery. I haven't added the Baytril in yet since she is improving. I'm at the ready if she should worsen, though.

Thanks Again!

Baytril and doxy is a good combo.

That being said, a few of our crew spent their final months on them as they were chronic respiratory rats.

I did end up adding in the Baytril. She still has a very brief episode of sniffles once or twice each day. I want to get her 100% healthy not only for keeping her in tip top shape, but I also want to introduce some new friends to her!

Back