How long on baytril until sneezing will stop?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never isolate a sick rat. When a rat is sick you want to avoid all stress and pulling a rat out of their habitat will definitely stress them out.
URI can be contagious, but I have found that with my huge colonies, when one gets sick, the others don't. Unless of course you are dealing with something more serious like SDA, Sendai or CAR Bacillus, which I doubt that you are.
Keep doing the meds and don't separate the little bugger, it sounds like he's feeling a lot better already.

That makes a lot of sense, Jo. And you are right, Chaulky is doing so much better :) He's bruxing on my shoulder right now :heart:

This forum is wonderful - thank you for all the help! Now I have to figure out how to upload a picture of the boys to my profile!

How has this turned out? I have a similar situation. We just adopted a new rattie who sneezes quite a bit, but otherwise shows no symptoms of respirtory illness and is very energetic. She's still stressed and getting used to us, and is in quarantine, but she sneezed at the rescue place we got her from too which used fleece bedding, I'm using carefresh. (so I don't think it's the bedding) I noticed last night after we played with her, then washed and changed cloths before playing with our other, original rattie (Lollipop), still Lollipop started sneezing too. BUT only for the first 30 minutes or so of play. Then the sneezing stopped for Lollipop. Neither rattie seems otherwise distressed. I'm trying to figure out if I need to do anything yet. I don't want to introduce them until I've got this figured out, but neither of them seems actually sick. I sure could use some input on this! Thanks...

Chris, we just added doxy to the baytril mix for Chaulky and it seems to really be helping. I have noticed two wonderful changes in him (he's been on for 72 hours now). The changes started yesterday - he kissed the crap out of my daughter's fingers - almost passionately licking her for at least 2 minutes and her hands had been washed (and he has never kissed us in the past)...and then she curled him in her lap (like in my avatar picture) and he groomed himself happily while sitting in her lap (she's 6), which he's not done before in this position. Later, he was in his comfy-cube (the ratties LOVE that thing) and had his head poking out of a side hole he made (a pouch in between the two layers of fabric) and I was rubbing his little head and he was bruxing so hard that his eye were bobbing with joy.

Anyway, Rudy is still sneezing a bit here and there and our new babies upstairs have sneezed on occassion. I'm new to this whole thing, but we've been 4 for 4 so far with the sneezing. As I understand, if there aren't any other symptoms, many aren't super concerned about it - but a visit to the vet might make you feel better. I did that & the boys checked out fine & the next night, I videotaped Chaulky making loud respiratory noises & that's why he's on meds. Even though the vet didn't "catch" it, I established a foundation whereby she now is prescribing over the phone while we treat this issue. We put Rudy on the baytril as a precautionary, but he seems the same - not worse nor better, so we took him off & he is still sneezing...Jo, should I ask for Rudy to be put on the baytril & doxy, too? Or just let it go since he has no other symptoms? He sneezes several times a day one at a time (not several in a row)...thanks...

Thanks, that's hopeful!
In my case, I'm trying not to over-react to the sneezing, but am quite intent on NOT letting little Lollipop catch something when she's just fine right now. And since she seemed to have caught the sneezing for a brief period after we'd played with the newbie, it appears to be communicable.
Anyhow, I've changed the new girl's bedding to fleece only, and am monitoring still. If the sneezing doesn't subside, I probably will take her to the vet before introducing them, just to play it safe, although I don't know if the vet will have much to say since she shows no other symptoms of illness. :wallbang:

Yeah when Selene was here she had normal sneezies nothing over the top um we used aspen bedding though and fleece sometimes too i know its common when in new homes they do sneeze a bit. As with Selene there was never no "booger red stuff" on her toys nor her cage so i think shes ok. If anything and want to play it safe you can get her meds to see if you like but when she was here she was fine.

I do hope she is ok and you guys are getting to know her;when she first came here from Adrienne's she also was a little scared but with time she got use to us too and think she will do the same with you guys.

Back