How long can rats be left alone?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mapleplus1

Hi Everyone,

I don't have rats yet. I am hoping to get my first pair in a few months. For now I am just saving money and doing my research! :)

So this may be a taboo question but: how long can rats be left alone?

I work for 8 hour days in the summer. I am finishing my last year of college in the fall. (I am at class about 2-8 hours a day and then do homework from home.) I am kind of a homebody so spending time in my room with my rats is much more enjoyable to me than going to a house party. The odd time I go home for a weekend (or rarely a week).

So in which circumstances would I need to either take my rats with me or hire someone to check in on them?

I know they are amazing, social animals that need at least an hour of my time and attention each day (and I can't wait to give them every second of it and more)! But realistically, how long can they be left alone and be happy and healthy? 8 hours? A weekend? A week?

Good for you for doing research first, not enough people do this. I would think 24 to 48 hours is safe to leave rats if you have plenty of water and different water sources like a bowl and a bottle.

I would say that they need to be cared for at least once a day. Rats become ill and die fast so it is important to interact with them at least once a day so you can catch illness and treat it promptly.

Plus water should be replaced once or twice/day, and while blocks can last they do need to be fed vegs daily

Back