How Long can rats be left alone for?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamwarrior

I am going away this weekend and i just realized that i should leave them alone for that long,

any one available in London ont to house my rats for the weekend? if not i have a few of my friends in mind.

A weekend is not bad... give them plenty of water and food. They might give you the cold shoulder when you come back but not for long.

Call me paranoid/overprotective but I think rats need to get checked out at least once ever 24 hours, in my case I would look that somebody checks on them at least twice a day.

Things can happen so fast with these kids where medical treatment just can't wait...

The longest I'm willing to leave rats is overnight (leaving in the morning and returning the following evening). I'm just too paranoid as things go wrong. Once my rat Chutney got sick suddenly when went away overnight (myco flair up) and I was glad to get her on meds ASAP. If we had been away longer it wouldn't have been good. Can you get someone to just check in on them? You'll have more peace of mind as well. Also be sure to put water in sturdy bowels as well as bottles. Often bottles malfuction and rats would be in trouble if without water for 3 days.

littledevils said:
Call me paranoid/overprotective but I think rats need to get checked out at least once ever 24 hours, in my case I would look that somebody checks on them at least twice a day.

Things can happen so fast with these kids where medical treatment just can't wait...

Boy, you can say THAT again! 3 weeks ago we left our kids for one night, leaving Saturday morning and returning Sunday afternoon. When we got home, hubby told me that Sally and Lucy weren't acting right, not coming out of the hammocks. Both of them had gotten URI's. And I did have someone coming to check on them over the weekend, twice each day. She said the times she came to check on them, they were acting like they normally do, which when she described it, they were.

I know I can leave them alone for a few days, but I would just feel better if someone came to check on them.

Anita

I can go check on Sammy over the weekend if you'd like. PM me if you want me to.

Back