How long can i keep compounded amoxil?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratsr4life

My vet gave me 200ml (i know, alot) of compounded amoxil (smells like banana) I put it in the fridge and i was wondering how long i can keep it for? 200ml is alot and seems a waste to throw it all the way. On the other hand, it wouldnt be wise to keeps meds that break down after a couple of weeks.

Ugh, I wish vets wouldn't do that... they should allow you to compound it a bit at a time. Once mixed, it's only good from 2 to 4 weeks.

I have been told by my vet that it is good for only 14 days.
Next time request that only half be mixed up
or ask for an extra container, and a 5 ml or 10 ml syringe.
That way you can divide it in half and mix it up yourself using distilled water.

Best to call them and ask. Some compounded meds are good for a month. It feels awful to waste meds. Almost every time I've tried to give away extra meds nobody has needed them at the time.

Godmother said:
Best to call them and ask. Some compounded meds are good for a month. It feels awful to waste meds. Almost every time I've tried to give away extra meds nobody has needed them at the time.

Yes i wish i could do that too, i donated my meds to my brothers rat who really needs it. But still, 200ml could help about 100 rats. Il ask next time if i can compound the meds myself.

200 mls?? I think I would ask the vet for a refund!
What a waste.
Our bottles of similar meds (clavamox) are about 15 ml when the bottle is mixed up.

My mom had some expired baytril in the fridge so she called our vet this morning to ask about how long it would be good for.
My vet told us that honestly, there is no documentation on compounded oral baytril and when it loses it's effectiveness. She told my mom that recently, there was a lady that needed to start her pet on oral baytril, it was a year old, but she did it anyways until she could bring him into the vet. It was a Friday night, our e-vets absolutely refuses to see pocket pets here, on Monday, the animal was doing significantly better and it had to be due to the year old Baytril. My vet told my mom that she would sell her newer baytril but if it was her pet, she would finish off the expired baytril.

Amoxicillin for a fact once mixed up is good for 7 days out of the fridge, or for 14 days when refridgerated.

Then it needs to be tossed. :(

Back