How long after being neutered.............?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dahlas

I found this here......http://www.ratbehavior.org/Neutering.htm

There are very few scientific studies that examine fertility after castration. So far, I have been able to locate only one such study in the literature.

Pholpramool and Sornpaisarn (1980) castrated 21 male rats. The authors found that for two days after castration, fertility in these castrated rats was normal. After the second day fertility started to drop quickly, and by the eighth day after castration all the rats in this study were sterile.

My vet told me 2 weeks....but I have heard some people say 3 to 4 weeks. I want to wait long enough but I want to start introducing my rats and get everyone living together as soon as possible.......

Thanks mamarat and lilspaz68....that is what I had been told to. Just thought it wouldn't hurt to double check......

Hope everything goes great for Goli.....Hopefully we will get some pictures :wink:
I can't wait to get my boys back with Piper and the girls....one family, one cage

2 weeks minimum is the standard practice. After that it's a 'better safe than sorry' sort of thing. Some males also need the extra time for hormone levels to even out and not be so aggressive.

My boys are so sweet and gentle....I'm not worried about them being rough...I'm worried about their sisters being rough....hahaha those girls are devils. (I mean that in a loving way)
If they where full grown males I would probably wait 3 to 4 weeks.......just to let all the testosterone to settle :D down.....but since they are only 12 weeks old I hope they will be all very good.......

So I still start intos in the same way as I would if they where strangers? Slow.... on neutral ground....over a period of time...then in the play area....then give the cage a good scrub down and try them all together....as long as each step goes good?

Yep, pretty much. Since they're younger, it may all go much more smoothly than adult intros can go. Just evaluate their progress at each step and decide if they're ready for the next. Babies are easy, they love everyone.

Back