How does euthanasia generally go for rats at a vet?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poisoned

As the title says. How does the usual exotic vet euthanize a rat? As small as they are. Do they give them some kind of inhalable anesthetic first?

I might have to take a poor young rat in to be euth'd. I just want to know what to ask them - like "Do you guys do THIS method."
I've never had a vet euthanize a small animal for me.

Thanks

And I've heard a LOT of bad about CO2 euthanizing. Why does the Rat Report suggest it?

This video is of Enola being euthanized, following their instruction and it really doesn't look cruel. Everything I've read says it's supposed to be done slowly - like in that video, so they go to sleep and then once they are unconscious you up the CO2 and they die in their sleep.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv7BEMcsS6k

I don't know, I was just researching more on it and saw this very conflicting info.

I read somewhere that rats feel a burning sensation in their lungs as they inhale the CO2.

Here is a good thread about the veterinarian euthanasia procedure: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9582

Added:
Personally, the vet I go to gives my rat a sedative into his rear leg. Once he is asleep, she then puts him on isoflurane gas to make 100% sure he is unconscious. Once he is completely unconscious (she will check for reflexes, such as touching his eye and pinching his foot), she gives the final injection into the heart and his heart stops beating within the minute. The procedure takes about 10 or 15 minutes.

It costs less than $30.. and it is money well spent knowing that your rat didn't suffer.. a lot can go wrong with CO2 (like the wrong quantity)

Wow, I had no idea it took so long for them to pass with these methods. :/
I imagine a needle would be very painful for a rat.. I just would hate for my little ones' last minutes to be fearful from being in the vet to start with, then being stabbed to top it off.

My elderly boy Splinter is going to need to be euthanized if he doesn't die naturally soon. This is all so much easier with dogs. You think people would have some up with better and more comfortable ways for them to be euthanized by now.

Yup. Poisoned, this is a really big subject. If he is under anesthetic, then a needle is okay- but never, ever let them try to needle-to-the-heart if your rat is still conscious. The heart of a rat is too small, and often lots of other things get punctured on the way- causing an extremely painful death.
Make sure your vet puts them under first, and it would be best if you can be there to watch this- who knows what happens in the back rooms. :/

I agree that the needle is painful. I have only had two rats euthanized so far... Deno was my first and I didn't know what to do at all... so I had him on the table on some warm fleece.. the vet gave him the sedative and he panicked and screamed... it really wasn't peaceful at all.. :(
The good part is that they fall asleep really quickly with the sedative so his panic only lasted a moment...

With Yoshi (my second one), I asked if he could be put on isoflurane only so he wouldn't need the needle.. but the vet said it would take too long for him to be unconscious and that they panic with the mask on if they are fully awake.... so for Yoshi, I held him in my arms and although the sedative hurt him... he fell asleep cuddled up safely in my arms.. and it was peaceful..
I wish I had been holding Deno during the whole process. :(

The needle in the heart still troubles me... but they're not supposed to feel it at all... so they say anyway..

Good luck with Splinter... make sure that you discuss the euthanasia method your vet uses before going (some vets don't know the proper way and will give the final injection with the rat being conscious)

Aida said:
Make sure your vet puts them under first, and it would be best if you can be there to watch this- who knows what happens in the back rooms. :/

I agree.. some vets wont let you go because of the isoflurane gas.. but make sure you insist on being there!
I am there through the whole process... and when it's time for the final needle.. I turn around to face the wall as I don't want to see it. But I am in the room and I turn back around during my rat's last heart beats. I just don't feel comfortable seeing a needle being inserted in the heart..

I bring all my rats home so I can bury them. I have a little rat cemetery at my mom's place.

I think it depends what kind of injectable sedative is used. The sedative Mia's vet used was an intra-muscular injection, I'm pretty sure the times I've had a sedative given before isofluorane it was subcutaneous. Not all injections hurt and if they're having trouble breathing, the sedative can make the process more peaceful. I've also had rats struggle and had to help restrain them to keep the mask on so no one way is best for all situations.

I also find that all rats (and all animals) know what's going to happen - some of them are ready to go and some aren't - and that affects how they behave. It's always harder to watch when they're not ready to go, even though their body is falling to pieces.

Oh yeah, I'll absolutely make sure to be there. They tried to take my elderly German Shepherd to the back to put her down when she bloated and it was too late to save her - NOW WAY, not in this lifetime! It's very hard to watch them go, but there is definitely comfort in the fact that you being there comforts them.

I'll talk to my vet soon, I sent an email but they don't respond very fast.

CO2 is not a humane method of putting rats to sleep. A lot of research has been done, some of which can be found in the reference section.

As mia9_28 wrote, please see viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9582
for the info you are requesting
Make sure you discuss the procedure long before you need to have a rattie pts, and as mia9_28 mentioned .... make sure you are present to ensure it is done right and to comfort your baby.

===============================================

I hold my rat in my arms with the "mask" re the isofluorane gas and oxygen mix used during surgery, placed near their face (not over their face) ..... while I hold my rat in my arms and pet him/her. After s/he becomes unconscious, my vet makes sure my rat is deeply unconsciuos by gently pinching the foot to check for a reflex and by touching their eye to check for a reflex ... I always request that they are under at least as deeply as they would need to be for surgery.

Then the vet injects the correct dossage of sodium pentobarbital using a 27 - 29 gauge needle. The injection is given in the lower right side of the abdomen, although recently my vet has started injecting into the liver.

My rat lays in my arm, still unconscious and still getting the isofluorane gas oxygen mixture. I hold and cuddle my rattie ... eventually they stop breathing and then their heart stops. It takes about 20 to 40 minutes.
My vet checks to make sure my rattie's heart has stopped.

Some vets like to administer a sedative prior to the gas. If they do, make sure they use a 27 - 29 gauge needle as the higher the gauge, the smaller the needle. I have found it is much better just to give the gas mixture. I gave also read that it is better not to give a sedative to a rat experiencing difficulty breathing as it may make it harder for them to breath.

You may want to order Debbie D.'s Rat Health Care book (http://www.ratfanclub.org)
It is updated yearly, and costs less then $10. It is a valuable resource, just ignore the section on home euthanasia using C)2 gas as it is inhumane.

Back