How do you pick up your bitey rats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopefloats

Not active.
Talking to spork about her boy biting. I told her to pick them up in "the no bite zone" Mally isnt an extreme case outside of the cage but she lunges at me in the cage. I have to medicate her twice a day.

I pick my toothy rats up like this...

[BBvideo 425,350:1uokyo70]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO9cowkSG3o&feature=youtu.be[/BBvideo:1uokyo70]

Anyone else have a different technique they use?

My bities get scooped up with two hands. I find that they tend to react less if they are being scooped up. But if you have biters that lunge and bite all the time, then I'd have a towel and grab them like how hopefloats shows.

I scoop with two hands from under their belly - makes them aware of what's going on. You're still at risk of being bit, but they don't get so scared.

I had one very scared rat who would happily tolerate being picked up with a blanket covering both hands. I think it didn't feel so grabby. We had lots of lovins through that blanket :p

My severe biters get a towel or flat hammock put over them. I had one boy who just hated me and all humans, a towel was the only way I could get him out of the cage. I managed to avoid his teeth until the day he died, when I let my guard down and he nailed me and I had to pry his jaw open. I think he actually smiled at me over that one. I have a couple of nippers ie Finley and I use pretty much the same method Peggy does on him.

I dont think spork's boy is a bad biter, he is just a bit bitey right now. I did tell her to talk to them first that the shock of pick up can cause them to bite but I couldn't remember other triggers. I told her not to go over his head because I know dogs can find that threatening not sure with rats. I know mally isnt a fan of my hand over her head. But she is nuts anyway :)

I don't think rats like it over their heads either which is why the scooping works so well for the mild nippers/biters. And to desensitize, she could put a treat in her hand so when she scoops, he finds the treat and relates scooping to treat.

hopefloats said:
I dont think spork's boy is a bad biter, he is just a bit bitey right now. I did tell her to talk to them first that the shock of pick up can cause them to bite but I couldn't remember other triggers. I told her not to go over his head because I know dogs can find that threatening not sure with rats. I know mally isnt a fan of my hand over her head. But she is nuts anyway :)

yeah, Peachy isn't bad, but getting bit is new to me and therefor terrifying. He's only bit a couple times, but since then I haven't let his face near my hands and used a towel to pick him up. Still a little nervous to try Peggy's method, as I'm pretty sure he's faster than me, but I hope I can be brave enough soon.

jorats said:
I don't think rats like it over their heads either which is why the scooping works so well for the mild nippers/biters. And to desensitize, she could put a treat in her hand so when she scoops, he finds the treat and relates scooping to treat.

Unfortunately the boys have no idea what treats are, there are cheerios that have been sitting in the cage for days :roll: My only weapon is a spoon full of baby food.

With templeton and loki It took a very long time for them to take treats. I remember dopey, who was a hoover vacuum would not touch a treat for a long time either. They will sooner or later. When they do finally come around, your heart will melt for them.

Spork said:
hopefloats said:

yeah, Peachy isn't bad, but getting bit is new to me and therefor terrifying. He's only bit a couple times, but since then I haven't let his face near my hands and used a towel to pick him up. Still a little nervous to try Peggy's method, as I'm pretty sure he's faster than me, but I hope I can be brave enough soon.

jorats said:

Unfortunately the boys have no idea what treats are, there are cheerios that have been sitting in the cage for days :roll: My only weapon is a spoon full of baby food.
That's perfect, you put some on your wrists. So when you scoop, your wrist is at their head. And they should start to lick.

jorats said:
Spork said:
hopefloats said:

jorats said:

That's perfect, you put some on your wrists. So when you scoop, your wrist is at their head. And they should start to lick.

I feel it's also worth mentioning that Peachy has a habit of screaming when picked up. The biggest problem is that I'm scared to expose any skin to him at all... Stormy is a bit friendlier, so I'll definitely try the baby food method with him, but I need to build up my own confidence before picking up peachy unprotected :roll:

My three blonds used to scream each time I scooped them up but the more I did it the more they became used to it. Screaming is protesting. But if you are worried, then don't do it, have a towel with you.

Back