how do you make yourself 'stop'

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you make yourself stop?
- You could get COPD or a breathing problem that means cleaning their space is a daily ongoing bit-by-bit process and no energy left in any day to dust or vacuum your own space.
- Your car could start breaking down and you have to take money from the vet fund so you can't take any more kids.
That's it I guess. The love isn't gonna quit, the energy or the money has to lessen your abilities so you cut your numbers.
Stop tho? That'd be like quitting smoking. Just one smoke, just one rattie, OK, I''m good. Then a while later, oh shite, just one more....
I took a hiatus once cause I was allergic to them. It lasted a month.
Maybe we need an addiction recovery group like AA? RAT - Rats Anonymous Temporarily?

Well.....I am adopting two new babies in 8 days so I don't know how to make myself stop. I guess you try and not take on more then you can handle or care for properly.

I guess I learned a long time ago to not take on more then I can handle and be happy with what I have. I don't think I could give any number larger then 5 the same attention as I do my boys now. (Plus my shoulders and arms fit 5 just perfect! LOL) They ALL want me at the same time and I love it but I couldn't imagine trying to be responsible for more with everything else I take care of daily. I don't go by rats in pet stores, I stopped looking at Craig's list, and this is the only rat forum I have been coming too. My heart goes out to the little ones that need rescued but my home is full and content. :thumbup:

Lol. I'm guilty of the same thing. I was in a house with 3 females and still wanted to save a male, despite the risks. Thankfully, I had a partner in crime that had more control over the house than I did.

I wasn't allowed to get any rats at all, but then I adopted my first two, without really asking my dad, my mom agreed though. And then I got one more half a year later and my dad said that I would never, ever get any more rats before the ones I had had died. But then Lulla's sister got put up for adoption and I just had to take her, and they are the best friends ever :) On exactly the same date as I got my first two, the number was doubled in a year. I think four is enough though what with school and stuff like that..

HAHA now that i think about it...

I have always only had one rat at a time but after reading on the internet that they should not be kept alone i decided to get ONE more.....a few weeks after adopting my one more baby...... one turned into two and i suddenly had 3!

Sadly i now only have two but will have some funds and extra cage space after christmas..soooo ?! **hoping for a critter nation or something with lots of levels!

The thing that stops me from getting a new rat each day is the intro process! You need lots of dedicated time to intros when you have a spoild rotten rat who has lived a few months as a single rat...intros are not easy with a rat who thinks "she dosent need anymore friends, what she needs is some more popcorn or somefin!!!"

So on that note, i would love to find a young slate blue rescue sometime after the holidays preferably a girl but maybe a boy would be suiting for my very dominant rat Teaka!?!

We started with one, but I kept telling Neal that Sally needed a cagemate. He finally agreed and we adopted Lucy. Lucy was a bossy girl and Sally was a cuddler, so we adopted Josie to run around with Lucy and keep her busy when Sally wanted to cuddle on our shoulder.

Then we got Molly, then along came Amy, then Cindy. Lucy is now gone, along with Josie, but we have Polly now. We seem to stop at 6. I know we can't handle more than that number. And Neal and I have agreed that when the older girls start leaving us, then we will wait to get more and only keep the group to 3.

Now, that being said, we will be getting a new ratty kid on December 28th! We will be bringing Molly's brother into our family. So once again, we will be at 6. Frankie is neutered, and I've not had a boy in a LONG time (like 40 years), but Neal is also looking forward to having a male. He says we have too many females in this house. 5 girl rats plus me, against 1 male dog and Neal. We don't count the fish, since we can't really tell some of them apart, boys and girls.

Riana said:
But the threat of being skinned alive, booted out of the house, and possibly disowned for getting another pet may have something to do with my willpower, too... :?
lol oh I hear ya...hubby is like shaking his head saying ok enough is enough we have 2 dogs, 2 cats, a bird, 1 55gallon cichlid tank, 1 20 gallon salt water tank and...3 rats and a rabbit...so ya I think were at our limit considering I'm the one who takes care of everyone they are all my pets

Cityratt said:
especially when your new cage can hold alot more rats than you planned on having....

But i figure. if i MAYBE adopt one more Girl. Then have the two boys neutered. then i have 6 in the cage. then I have room if one of the Foster boys are still in need of a home (and my funds have recooped since the neuters)....

Then i still have 2 'smaller' cages, and i COULD technically fit more in the monster cage....but then reserve those spots for the 'emergency' intakes.... .... :gaah:

I think you should have the boys neutered FIRST then think about getting girls, or you will end up producing what you are trying to stop...

thats how i ended up with four i went to the pet store and i was only going to get one i swore to myself and there were two left so my reasoning was "i couldent leave one by itself" so i took them both in although i'm down to three already i'll never regret bringing home big un i didnt even tell my mom that i had gotten any and then i was like...mooom and she was like omg you got one and i was like close lol but it hurts every time i go to a petstore and see that one lone remaining rat and feel pity for her

Okay i really think they should have a rat-addiction-rehab...
I feel so guilty right now for what i've done last night.
So currently, well before 7 pm last night. I had 5 girls and 3 boys and 14 rescued PEWs that are doing just amazing. and i feel so content with all of them. So after work, i went to the pet store to get them some snacks (yogurt drops are their favs), then i saw those cute baby rats in the window. I couldnt help but asking the sales rep to see them (and in my mind i was JUST gonna see). Then this grey girl came to me and started licking me. and then her friend came too.... and i know how wrong it is to buy from a pet store! i know we should end the demand to end the supply... but those ratties didnt do anything wrong and i bonded with them instantly..... I just couldnt put them down... So after 8pm, i went home with 3 more rattie girls, Pickle(grey one), Chuck(for chocolate), and Cupcake (brown hooded). so now i have 25 furbabies in total..... i didnt sleep till 1am last night cuz i was trying to kiss all of them and pet and play with all of them last night........

I think i need to lock myself up to prevent me from going to THS this weekend.... i just can't stop.....
Why do they have to be so adorable and kissy!!!!?????

Ah hahaha! This thread is so funny , no matter what we will never be able to stop! Unless you have a strict hubby and in that case get the rat and get rid of the hubby :giggle:

Ewa said:
Ah hahaha! This thread is so funny , no matter what we will never be able to stop! Unless you have a strict hubby and in that case get the rat and get rid of the hubby :giggle:

:laugh4:

My boyfriend get's mad cause I spend so much time with the ratties, from cleaning to play time & I only have nine yet

Back