how do you make yourself 'stop'

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, how do you say no to any kid in need if you can help? You can't.
Defence #1 you don't go where you see kids in need that you could help. The bulk of you seem to be in Ontario, hence the most kids-in-need-of-help post being there. I'm in BC. Honestly, if Goliath had come up in Victoria I'd have gone nuts, I don't even drive in frost let alone snow. I'd have had to get off the site and take a bunch of ativan to sleep thru it or get a cab to get him.
Defense #2 How big is my vet fund? And how much can I add per month? For each kid estimate the cost of 1 exam and meds. Add those together. Add $100 for if some kid has a complicated thing. That's the least you need for now (you might have to take from the other's money for one kid but at least it's there when you need it, you have to make it up tho). I know you're a better option than the spca even with no money because not much chance anyone adopting will give it vet care let alone as good as the rest you have to offer, but you don't want to be the one to deny it more and give it less. If you don't have it NOW you can't afford the kid but could put your love & concern into finding it another home so you can know it's ok.
Defense # 3 - Every life saved is worth it. But look at your schedule, add up your time available to them each week. Subtract cage cleaning time. Divide time left between groups of kids that live together and share out time. From each group's time deduct 5 minutes for each kid that you actually spend at least 10 minutes with one-to-one.

Better they should be with you than dead when they have a life to live for sure. But what about rescuing them then calling a rescue group and maybe fostering til they can find a forever home so the ones you have really have good lives with you?

Every hoarder started out wanting to save individuals that didn't have a better option. And ended up too overwhelmed to give them the best. You know to not let them breed tho! But it's when our factual idea that we can do better than their other alternatives blinds us to the fact that we are not doing better anymore cause we can't afford the vet for that many that we get blind to their needs and ours take precedence.

How's that?

Bronwyn said:
I don't know if that was ever a problem for anyone else...stepping back and freaking out, worrying you've passed your limit.

This is a huge problem for me... I always know there's a huge panic attack about to happen after I say yes to a new rescue.
But I work it out. Sometimes I seek solace with my family, mom and dad, and they always help me work it out.

All I can say is ... I'M DOOMED!

Okay, maybe not with rats, but with dogs. I found an amazing breeder in the states and sent an e-mail for information. She's sending me a free information package with DVDs about training and her puppies... And she said she can ship a puppy to Toronto. I don't know whether to be happy or cry at this point. I'll just have to talk with my parents about it, not like it's anything new to them (how long have I been wanting a puppy now? 2 years? lol.)

So my advice is - don't e-mail people! It only advances things forward! Lol.

Yeah, so not only that... but I had a dream last night I got a puppy - when I woke up I cried because it wasn't real. Seriously, I'm doomed.

Doooooooooooooommmmmmeeeeedddd.... :giggle:

Shelley said:
So my advice is - don't e-mail people! It only advances things forward! Lol.

Very true! Several of my rats started with very innocent e-mails.

I've forced myself to stop looking at craigslist or the adoption forum on goosemoose, or petfinder. Someday, hopefully a couple years from now or more, I'll have room to help more ratties. For now, I'm full up.

:eek:fftopic:
Cityratt said:
Shelley - what is it what is it?! a BC?

squee

Yep, a Border Collie! The breeder is really open with information and answering questions, which is great because I've e-mailed some people before that hardly would say much. (Which I find strange). I was acutally surprised when she confidently said she could ship to Toronto, and has shipped to Canada multiple times with no problems. She asked what qualities and traits I'm looking for as well. She's sending off the info package today, so it'll get here in about 2 weeks time. I can't wait :D
END :eek:fftopic:

The key thing to do if you are e-mailing or asking innocently, is to not say you can take him/her. Ask for information only. Avoiding websites, threads, links to animals in need of adoption is a good place to start. I'm trying very hard to avoid rescue websites since those animals need homes now. Reputable breeders like the one I e-mailed always have enough homes lined up, their animals aren't in any danger so it is much easier to innocently ask. Looking at rescue websites only makes my heart hurt, especially if you see one that seems a perfect match. I think the internet is a dangerous place for those of us who want to adopt another pet, but know we shouldn't. I think it's important to have a realistic limit, and stick to it. :D

Shelley you should work at an animal shelter. We get the most beautiful dogs and cats in on a daily bases....Not that long ago I fostered an amazing pup...He looked very much like a English Shepherd....smart as a whip......it was very hard not to keep him. I fell in love with him as much as he did with me....The story had a happy ending I found him a great home and he still comes regularly for daycare but it ws very hard not to keep him for myself.
This happpens so ofter....I love dogs and could easy have lots but I know I can only properly care for 3....along with my boarders and foster dogs.....

jorats said:
Bronwyn said:
I don't know if that was ever a problem for anyone else...stepping back and freaking out, worrying you've passed your limit.

This is a huge problem for me... I always know there's a huge panic attack about to happen after I say yes to a new rescue.
But I work it out. Sometimes I seek solace with my family, mom and dad, and they always help me work it out.

Glad to know I'm not the only one that goes through this ...

SQ said:
jorats said:
Bronwyn said:

Glad to know I'm not the only one that goes through this ...

Oh yeah, I've experienced the panic as well. With rats and other animals too. For example when I adopted my sheep I totally freaked out. I get over it though. Mind you I'm learning my lesson (finally) by severely curbing getting more animals.

]

I'm also thrilled I'm not alone! My housemate and boyfriend don't help as they merely support what I need with my current rats...new ones are not condoned!

Avoiding the adoption pages of humane societies (and here) help a lot. Though my cage is full now so I'm less likely to submit to GGMR. ;) This thread needed to happen...a long time ago, lol.

Cityratt - Not yet! But I'll check out the Habitat thread now!

jorats said:
Dewi... a sheep? Ok, you need to post the story and pics of this one in All Other Creatures. I need to see sheep. :holysheep:

Yup sheep :roll:, I only have two of them (Chester and Chloé). I'll rustle up some photos tomorrow and post their story. It's night at the moment and I'm sure they won't appreciate having their photos taken now. They need their beauty sleep :lol:.

i told linds that 4 was our limit.. then it went to 6.. now its 8.. im gonna try to stand firm with my decision of no more than 8.. but ohhh they are soooo sweet.. and want to help out some needy munchkins... so linds is a little more weak than i.. she will actually torture herself... going to those sites on kijiji ect.. .. i dont .. unfortunately i am a different kind of weak...im the kind of weak that needs a little arm twisting.. ( not that it takes much) :stickpoke: :lol: ... then im like "(big sigh) ooooookkkkaayyyy" :roll: hahaha
i am standing firm on the "we cannot take in more rats than we can afford" ... adn linds agrees.. so maybe no more than 10??!! lol :giggle:

jorats said:
Dewi... a sheep? Ok, you need to post the story and pics of this one in All Other Creatures. I need to see sheep. :holysheep:
Hey Jo, I put some photos of my sheepies here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4135

Yanglicious said:
Awwhs cute!
Remember to post your Guinea Pigs photos too!
:happydance:

Yang here are some pics of my guinea pigs: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=4136
Did you put a photo of your guinea pig? I can't remember now, I do remember hamsters, rats and a dog.

:D

I am meticulous when it comes to reviewing the pros and cons of adding to my rat family.

One thing that helps keep my "drive" in check is to take the rats I already have into consideration. Would a new addition fit into their current scheme? What are the dangers to my resident males? What are the dangers to the newbie?

I donate to Small Angels Rescue whenever I can. I push the idea of animal adoptions to friends and acquaintances in an effort to help animal rescues find good homes for their charges. By doing this; I lessen any feelings of guilt, I may have, in recommending that someone I know turn an unwanted furmel over to an animal rescue. I like to think that I help even things out.

I indirectly advertise by filling my cube, at work, with pictures of my boys. Some people are grossed out but many are fascinated. They find themselves consistently asking about Ben and Basil and they worry just as much as I do about any illnesses, injuries or upcoming operations. The path is a long and laborious one, but it plants the "seed" of "rodent acceptance" in the minds of those who would, otherwise, have an aversion.

I never suggest that someone I know consider adopting a rat. I simply share my boys' antics with them and give them some insight into life with rats. They may never elect to adopt a rat, but they will think twice about buying products which practice animal testing. Without anyone being any wiser... I have created a small, but significant, under the table movement against animal cruelty. I mentioned, to a colleague, when she offered me chocolate, that I was no longer touching anything produced by Mars Inc.. I told her why and thanked her for offering.

I have recently noticed that her candy jar now holds Hersheys... :wink:

Being active, in this way, makes it easier for me to keep my drive to "save them all" in check.

Back