How do you decide when to start injecting SQ fluids?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godmother

My three old girls haven't been able to drink from the water bottle for months. I keep two dishes of water in their cage and lots of liquid=y food, e.g. mushed lab blocks mixed with Ensure, baby food, baby cereal with soy milk. Usually they drink the liquid, so I thought they were OK. I finger-feed them in the morning and evening to make sure that they get something.

Today I had them in to see the vet. They were all a bit dehydrated. Should I just try harder to keep them drinking, or is it time for me to start injecting SQ fluids? They still love Ensure, but they seem to forget about food sometimes.

Are they still able to drink and its more of a choice for them? How slow was the skin falling when you did the pinch test? And (just learned this) my vet taught me to start at the scruff and work down their back. Sometimes oldies and sickies have lost weight and their skin is loose, and they seem dehydrated on the scruff pinch, but when you do the back, it snaps back just fine.

Godmother said:
That's a good trick. One of them was much more dehydrated than the others; when he did the skin on her back it was noticeably slow to snap back.

IF you can convince her to take her liquids orally its always best, see if she likes watermelon or something like that?

If she continues to be dehydrated she may need topping up every once in a while.
Do you have all the supplies?

SQ gave me a kit a couple of months ago, including one of those butterfly needles. I think I remember what to do, and you posted great directions, but I sure don't want to do it until I have to.

I am going to see if they will take apple juice also. I could another couple of little dishes to the cage. ONe girl (the one who is the most dehydrated today) loves to fish in the big water dish for pasta bits. Usually she has a drink after her fishing. I don't put pasta in the water every day, because she stashes it and doesn't eat it... messy to clean up :sick2:

But anything that will get her into that water dish is fine by me. They always seem to perk up after we have been finger-feeding them.

I just got 50 butterfly's in the mail today, so I can mail you some if needed. You will need a big syringe...I have a 3 ml I could also mail if necessary...i can get more from Dr Munn.

I can also call you (free long distance) and coach you through it if you like?

OK. So you think I should start right away, or should I make more effort with the liquids now and then start the SQ injections when I get back after Christmas?

Coaching might help the first time. I should be able to get my husband to hold the ratties still, which will make life easier.

mailing me a couple would be a help until I figure out where to buy them here.

Godmother said:
OK. So you think I should start right away, or should I make more effort with the liquids now and then start the SQ injections when I get back after Christmas?

Coaching might help the first time. I should be able to get my husband to hold the ratties still, which will make life easier.

mailing me a couple would be a help until I figure out where to buy them here.
Work on the oral fluids for now...see how that goes.

PM me your addy and I'll mail them right now :)

I decided to try soy milk this morning. They were dehydrated yesterday, and perhaps they sensed somehow that the sodium in the Ensure might be an extra stress on dehydrated kidneys?? I don't know whether it would be, though. All I know is that they drank very little overnight, whereas they had been used to draining a little dish of Ensure every night. I hope they weren't in hiding because of feeling stressed by their vet visit. They really act differently for a day after vet visits.

Penny looks much better this morning, though. The Clavamox is helping her. I had taken them to the vet because of Penny's hiccupping and a little lump on her right shoulder. It was a weird dried-up mass that the vet just squeezed out. :sick2: He wasn't sure what it was. He was also interested to see that, for two of them, the paralysis is noticeably worse on one side. The foot just drags.

Anyway, they like the soy milk. They took a lot from my fingers and each of them drank some from the dish. They ate peas and no-salt chick peas overnight, along with a bit of cooked pasta. I got them to take their meds and to eat a bit of Ensure with lab blocks. Hubby brought home some Cool-Whip this morning, and that was a hit. They each ate at least half of a big blueberry with Cool Whip.

So they seem better overall. I hope that they go one way or another before Monday, when I have to make the decision. I don't want to take them to the pet-sitter's if they will just die there before we get back. The stress of being in a different place, and without us, could make a difference. If they are going to die, I want them to be with me at the end.

It is high time I got prepared to administer SubQ fluids. The Forum's SQ showed me how the last time she was here with her little Debbie, and I have Shelagh's great directions for a guide. The vet agreed that it would be a good idea for me to know how, especially over a holiday period. I don't want to do it if it is just delaying them when they are ready to die, though. Tough decision. But today they don't look ready to die, just frailer than they were a few days ago.

You can buy the butterfly needles from the vet or from Shoppers ... just make sure it is the right size, not a larger size.

If they are getting really dehydrated, I would do it, but continue to encourage them to take fluids in other ways.
Being hydrated will help them feel better/have more energy and they may start to take fluids in other ways ... that happened with Debbie. I had to give her SQ fluids for a week or more but then she didn't need it anymore.

Thanks for the info. Jorats, the vet here in Halifax didn't tell me that ...

They were definitely better for a while early this evening, and drank quite a bit. They got so full that it was hard to get them to take their meds an hour later! (BTW, Cool Whip saved the day). They are still lethargic compared to a few days ago, though. They are gradually getting less active, and it's very hard for them to haul themselves up into the upper hammock, but that is the paralysis.

Leaving will be hard. I am still not sure whether I can do it. We are afraid of them dying without us by their side. That was bearable when Tia died, because she was with Linda. Our pet-sitter is great, but she doesn't know them nearly as well, and she is not experienced with rats. But she is learning fast, as mine age.

they each drank overnight, took meds fairly easily this morning, and drank Strawberry Ensure this morning. Hey Shelgah, that stuff was a hit! :thumbup:

I am trying very hard to remember which girl told Arlene she wanted the yummy pink stuff (she was very sick)...they sure like that one here. :lol:

Glad to hear you had some success with fluid intake :thumbup:

Back