how do you deal with an aggressive rat?(UPDATE)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilangel

Well Mozart bit me and hard broke the skin and like lunged at me while doing it :panic: i had the door open and taking to him softly and all of the sudden he lunged and bit! boy did it hurt after he was done too he was like frozen at the door making sure he got me and was ready to do it again.

yesterday we had him out on the couch, on me, holding him and he seemed fine but at the cage was a no no. what do you do with an aggressive cage rat? or an aggressive rat for that matter?

im sorry i am not the greatest person with aggressive animals nether once they bite me i will most likely never touch them again, that's how scared i am of it.

A dog biting me I can handle... but a rat giving me a real chomp scares the bajeezers out of me.

There really is quite a bit of difference between cage aggressive animals and ones that are aggressive across the board, and I'm sure things can be done differently depending on the situation. I guess your first step is to get him used to being near the cage, never mind in it.... just sitting right beside it while watching TV and not posing a threat.

BUT, having never dealt with it myself I'll let the rattie therapists cover this one. Good luck, though!

I had a cage aggressive rat. I had Pinto neutered but it took 3 months before I could go into his cage. He became a real sweetie after that though.

I am with Moon on this one.....I can handle large aggressive dogs and have been bitten a few times......but an aggressive rat would scare me.
I would start with a neuter for sure. There are many on here I am sure who will have some great advice. :thumbup:
Good luck.....

I don't think a neuter is necessary over just this just yet...
Some rats can just be cage aggressive, especially if they are insecure or have an unfortunate history, you give them a safe place and it's their sanctuary. It's a good sign that he's not biting you when he's out of it.
They can get over it but it takes some time and involves them getting comfortable with you out of the cage first..
I'd suggest you recognize his cage as His Space and keep back from it. Slip his food in when he's not near the door. Have him out with you often and interact. I've had a few kids like this when I first got them and I've never had one that didn't gradually start to relax with me close to the cage (don't ever reach into the cage to grab them to bring them out even when they start to relax, always take the top off the cage). And every one Ive had with this problem has soon come the point where I could put my hand in it. You might freak if even someone familiar as your doctor suddenly walked into your house eh? You'd have to have a reason to give him an invitation. :nod:

Fidget said:
I don't think a neuter is necessary over just this just yet...
Some rats can just be cage aggressive, especially if they are insecure or have an unfortunate history, you give them a safe place and it's their sanctuary. It's a good sign that he's not biting you when he's out of it.
They can get over it but it takes some time and involves them getting comfortable with you out of the cage first..
I'd suggest you recognize his cage as His Space and keep back from it. Slip his food in when he's not near the door. Have him out with you often and interact. I've had a few kids like this when I first got them and I've never had one that didn't gradually start to relax with me close to the cage (don't ever reach into the cage to grab them to bring them out even when they start to relax, always take the top off the cage). And every one Ive had with this problem has soon come the point where I could put my hand in it. You might freak if even someone familiar as your doctor suddenly walked into your house eh? You'd have to have a reason to give him an invitation. :nod:

thanks that sounds good. yes when he was out last night thats what i did took the cage top right off and he came out and then i was picking him up and all and he seemed fine then.

i will try that first.

thanks a bunch :thumbup:

Create a positive association of your hand in the cage - my ratties come to me when I open the door because I am the giver of wonderful treats! A couple of Cheerios or a piece of cheese, a little bowl of peas and corn, a piece of spagetti, some yogurt on a spoon. Even if they are grabby for the food, they never seem to bite hard - they might try and pull your finger in, and then realize that hey! that's not the food! and let go.
BTW, I NEVER feed treats through the bars - always open the door. Otherwise fingers WILL be at risk.
And talk to him in a soothing voice before opening the door, so he knows you are there and you don't scare the heck out of him.

lilangel said:
Update on this; Mozart now lets us have our hand in the cage :happydance: :happydance: And we can kind of pet him too now. Took quite a bit but we are getting there very slowly with him :heart:

Hooray! Glad to hear it!!

Back