how do we get the cage in the house?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twitch

i was on chat a few mintues ago and there is this person with an explorer cage http://www.petworlddirect.co.uk/acatalog/Rodent-and-Rabbit-Cages.html (second iten) that he can't get up the stairs to his house because of the weight, size and sprial staircase. he is afraid to take it apart because it was so hard to get together and is concerned that he would not be able to get it together a second time. these are the stairs:
Stairs.jpg

the cage dimensions:
Height - 159.5 cm
Depth - 63.5 cm
Width - 93.5 cm

door space:
78cm

foot space length of the stairs:
74cm

thankfully it only needs to get to the 3rd floor instead of the 10th. but the weight and those stairs are going to make it difficult. ideas encouraged! :mrgreen:

That looks similar to an FN... I'd say take it apart. Those stairs are going to difficult to climb with a big cage.

Or how about a partial break down of the cage, like removing the stand?

If its anything like how the FN is built, he should be able to just detach the top half from the bottom half as opposed to taking everything apart into seperate flat pieces.

As 2 seperate "cages" it should be possible.

If it breaks down anything like a FN, its really not that hard... I borrowed a truck to go pick mine up, got there, realized I didn't really need the truck, broke it down, fit in the trunk of my car perfectly, and carried all the pieces up to my 3rd floor apartment in 2 trips.

In the long run, even if its a headache to put back together, its better than killing yourself trying to get it upstairs.

Two very strong people, one above, one below ... take it up sideways (of course).

Looks similar to an FN, which are not difficult to take apart and reassemble ... once you know what you are doing. So s/he might want to look it over very carefully and get a friend who is good at that sort of thing to help to take it apart and reasemble it. (FNs have to be completely taken apart every few months to be thourghly cleaned (ie the brown sludge between the sections). So I expect the person will need to get good at taking apert and assembling the cage.)
Or take the sections apart and carry up the top section, the bottom section and the stand separately ... that will decrease the weight for the trips, thus making it much easier.

(Person who owns cage here)

I could probably detach the top section from the bottom..When this weather calms ill recruit neighbours to help out.

(Prays it will go back together again. Took us ages to build it)

If it's like the FN, the first time putting it together is a right pain in the a$$ but then it gets easier. My biggest worry was threading the screws. But it honestly seems like the only way to do it.

Back