How Can I help make their fur shinny and healthy?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisK

Hello all!
I just took in two adult foster boys who are just wonderful. They both have mites, but have been treated with revolution. One has lots of scabs, the other has none. But the one with lots of scabs has a really shaggy looking coat.

I'm figuring once the revolution has done its thing, the scabs should start to clear up. But I'd like to help their coats along too. I remember reading that a little oil could help. Does that go in their food or directly onto their fur?

Any other ideas on how to help their coats along would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

When I took in 3 boys that has mites they had really rough looking coats as well. After being treated with revolution the scabs cleared up, their fur started growing back in (it was thin) and they weren't as scruffy looking. I got them on a good diet, Harlan Teklad + veggies and their coats are normal now. I personally have never given oil so I can't help with that part. I'd try waiting for the mites to clear up and getting them on a good diet and you may see an improvement. Generally rats that are taken in aren't on the best of diets so it could be a major improvement.

Thanks.

Wondering how long does it take for revolution to work? I gave a dose on Thursday night and they are both still scratching quite a bit. For some reason I'd remembered revolution working faster than that.. Does it take a few days before the worst of the scratching stops?

ChrisK said:
Thanks.

Wondering how long does it take for revolution to work? I gave a dose on Thursday night and they are both still scratching quite a bit. For some reason I'd remembered revolution working faster than that.. Does it take a few days before the worst of the scratching stops?

For my boys it took two treatments because their mites where so bad. A week after the second treatment they were all cleared up.

The best way to make males shiny and soft...a neuter. lol
But if it's because of mites, then give them a good month after treatment. Also, add a bit of oil to their diet.

Extra virgin olive oil can be offered on a spoon, or red palm oil is also great, if you can find it. Or even adding a small amount of fish to their diet can supply extra oil. I think that's why Oxbow makes their fur so sleek and shiny; they use fish in their food, which contains (surprise!) fish oil!

A good diet will help your rat's coat look as good as possible. My boys are intact (for the time being) and have extremely soft and smooth coats. Along with HT blocks supplemented by a small amount of organic grain mix, they get daily fruits and veggies in a frozen mix of about 15 different kinds of produce I make every few weeks. They don't have a single bit of buck grease. Ground flax seed or flax seed oil, olive oil, or fish oil will help too (and they love it). Good luck!

veggies said:
A good diet will help your rat's coat look as good as possible. My boys are intact (for the time being) and have extremely soft and smooth coats. Along with HT blocks supplemented by a small amount of organic grain mix, they get daily fruits and veggies in a frozen mix of about 15 different kinds of produce I make every few weeks. They don't have a single bit of buck grease. Ground flax seed or flax seed oil, olive oil, or fish oil will help too (and they love it). Good luck!

Veggies, would you mind sharing what your frozen mixe is with the fruits and veggies what you give? I have 4 intact males, and I would like to keep their coats nice and shiny. I have been feeding the HT, plus they often get leftovers from my dinners (rice, pasta, veggies, a little meat, etc.). I also give them other things, but not the same stuff every time, like romaine lettuce, variety of nuts in the shell (keeps them occupied), broccoli, peas, apples, bananas, etc. basically whatever I have on hand at the time. it always changes, so they never get bored.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks everyone for your excellent feedback!

Something I'm wondering about... if I'm wrong, and the issue is not mites, what else could lead to scabs on the body?

Any thoughts?

Back