How can I get my rat to behave

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syntaku

I bought my rat about 4 or 5 days ago. He was about 2 months when I got him. He's really nice but he won't behave at all. He's super hyper. I've made a little play area out of cardboard boxes he will just run back and forth until he finds a way out. He won't let me touch him. He'll take off if I go anywhere near him unless I have a yogurt drop or apple in my hand. In his cage he will tip everything over trying to find a way out. His litter box, food bowl, etc. I understand it hasn't been very long but I don't feel like he wants to bond with me. I think he just wants to be free. :(:(:(:(

If he is a domesticated rat he is probably freaking out because he is alone. Go back where you got him and get another rat that is the same sex. If you or the clerk is unsure of whether they're boys or girls, take pictures of their bottoms and post them on here and we can help. Rats should not be kept alone or they get neurotic.

If he is a domesticated rat he is probably freaking out because he is alone. Go back where you got him and get another rat that is the same sex. If you or the clerk is unsure of whether they're boys or girls, take pictures of their bottoms and post them on here and we can help. Rats should not be kept alone or they get neurotic.
Yeah I'm gonna try to get one tomorrow. They last rat I had he attacked and I guess died from the stress :/ I know that when I went to the pet store to get that rat there was only 2 in the cage. So if that one is still there I'll get him tomorrow... I really hope he's there.. Also keeping them in separate cages right next to each other will help with loneliness right?

Your new rat is exhibiting this skittish behaviour because he is being kept alone, as BlueSkyy has already pointed out. Rats, especially individuals that have a naturally shy disposition, must be kept with conspecifics to prevent isolation stress. I find that naturally shy rats become much friendlier over time when they are paired with bolder individuals. They will observe their bolder cagemates and when they see that they trust you, they will soon follow suit. Having a companion or two for your boy is especially important during the first few weeks of settling in, and it will have a pivotal effect on how he develops mentally and psychologically as he grows.

As for housing the rats separately, this would not be substitutional for providing your boy with a cagemate. I'm curious if there is a specific reason that you are considering this? Your little boy is only two months of age right now and, with proper introductions to another rat of a similar age, you should have minimal issues with keeping him and his new rat friend together in the same cage.

If your boy is under 12 weeks old then he can be put with another boy that is also under 12 weeks old.
If he is over 12 weeks old then he needs to be gradually introed with another rat. http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32368

You wrote that he repeatedly attacked a young baby without drawing blood and then the baby died. If the baby wasn't injured as you thought, then I would assume that the baby was very ill.
This would mean that your boy may have been exposed to illness, so you will need to keep a close eye on him.
http://ratguide.com/health/basics/basic_health_check.php

http://ratguide.com/health/basics/advanced_health_check.php

They are suggesting that you adopt a boy from the same place to reduce the chances that the new boy will be ill from something your boy has not already been exposed.

I would suggest that you adopt from a good rat rescue as they will be able to help you with intros, refer you to a good rat vet, and the new rat should have been quarantined for any possible illness.

I am very concerned that the young baby died.

Also, rats are like cats .... they are not going to "behave", especially not babies.
While he will become friendlier once he gets a friend, gets used to you, and is socialized (he came from a horrible abusive environment where he likely never was handled gently by a person), he will want to escape, explore and run around

If you read the various sections of this forum, it will give you an idea of what sorts of things rat need
good luck

Last edited:
If your boy is under 12 weeks old then he can be put with another boy that is also under 12 weeks old.
If he is over 12 weeks old then he needs to be gradually introed with another rat. http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32368

You wrote that he repeatedly attacked a young baby without drawing blood and then the baby died. If the baby wasn't injured as you thought, then I would assume that the baby was very ill.
This would mean that your boy may have been exposed to illness, so you will need to keep a close eye on him.
http://ratguide.com/health/basics/basic_health_check.php

http://ratguide.com/health/basics/advanced_health_check.php

They are suggesting that you adopt a boy from the same place to reduce the chances that the new boy will be ill from something your boy has not already been exposed.

I would suggest that you adopt from a good rat rescue as they will be able to help you with intros, refer you to a good rat vet, and the new rat should have been quarantined for any possible illness.

I am very concerned that the young baby died.

Also, rats are like cats .... they are not going to "behave", especially not babies.
While he will become friendlier once he gets a friend, gets used to you, and is socialized (he came from a horrible abusive environment where he likely never was handled gently by a person), he will want to escape, explore and run around

If you read the various sections of this forum, it will give you an idea of what sorts of things rat need
good luck

So I got another one today. He's in a separate cage.. The old one had been in the pet shop for 1 month or 2. That's what the woman at the pet shop said. since the one I bought today is really young I think I should wait a while before I introduce them just in case something happens. Couldn't the baby have died from stress? Also I did buy the one today from the same place. The problem is the pet shop only gets 2 in at a time. The old rat was in the cage by himself when I went to the pet shop. I thought that I could just drive down the street to another pet shop and buy him a friend. It ends up that no other pet shop sells boys.

Most of the "big box" stores will only sell one gender to avoid accidental pregnancies. Does the store offer a health guarantee on their rats? If so they should cover vet care if either rat seems sick. You will just have to bring the rat to the store or call the store and find out which vet they use and go there AFTER explaining you want to use the health guarantee. (This is how Petco and Petsmart work but they won't cover costs unless you use their vet.) Dying from stress is possible but it is more likely the baby was sick and your first guy sensed this (which is why he attacked) and the stress of the "attack" pushed him over the edge.

Since the new baby is from the same place as the baby who died and they were together,
I would suggest that you take both rats to a good rat vet asap to see if they are ill - I mean take them to a good vet Today

The new baby may be ill and may need to be put on antibiotics immediately (such as azithromycin - 10 mg/Ib, orally twice a day) or it will die too. Rats get ill and die very fast.

Depending upon where you are, pet stores will take ill rats back and instead of treating them they will just let them die or feed them to snakes and give you another rat .......... suggest that you take the rats to a good vet

Keep a very close eye on both rats re illness, breathing problems etc Go through the links I posted above re health checks

If your boy was in the pet store for 2 months he would be over 12 weeks old and you will need to do gradual intros once the new baby is 10 weeks old
If you post pics, Lilspaz68 or Jorats might be able to let you know an approx. age

How are your cages set up? Toys? Housing? Bedding?
What are you feeding them?
Water dishes?
Someone on another thread just asked what they need for 2 rats, you might want to check it out
Find a good vet now because when you need one, you likely will not have time to find one.

Last edited:
Since the new baby is from the same place as the baby who died and they were together,
I would suggest that you take both rats to a good rat vet asap to see if they are ill - I mean take them to a good vet Today

The new baby may be ill and may need to be put on antibiotics immediately (such as azithromycin - 10 mg/Ib, orally twice a day) or it will die too. Rats get ill and die very fast.

Depending upon where you are, pet stores will take ill rats back and instead of treating them they will just let them die or feed them to snakes and give you another rat .......... suggest that you take the rats to a good vet

Keep a very close eye on both rats re illness, breathing problems etc Go through the links I posted above re health checks

If your boy was in the pet store for 2 months he would be over 12 weeks old and you will need to do gradual intros once the new baby is 10 weeks old
If you post pics, Lilspaz68 or Jorats might be able to let you know an approx. age

How are your cages set up? Toys? Housing? Bedding?
What are you feeding them?
Water dishes?
Someone on another thread just asked what they need for 2 rats, you might want to check it out
Find a good vet now because when you need one, you likely will not have time to find one.
The first cage I'm describing is the older rats cage. The bedding is "Care Fresh" brand I have a hammock and a ramp leading up to another level. There's also a little house and food bowl. The second cage (where the baby is) Has a fleece bed, food bowl, water bottle, and a ball. Both of them are eating Kaytee chunky gourmet diet food. Though I pick the dried corn out because I heard it's bad for digestion.

20151227_000724.jpg

20151227_000730.jpg

20151227_000635.jpg

Last edited:
Back