How can I get doxycycline into my boys??

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angiewaugh

Hello everyone
So I'm trying to get doxy into my boys and I've always used rice pudding to get meds in but of course with the whole dairy/doxy problem it's not an option. Jagger is eating it fine with a salmon paste but the only way I get get it into Rizzo is with strawberry jam or honey. I'm just a bit worried about him getting a sugar overload (although it is only a small amount twice a day, he does has a tendency to be a bit on the chubby side!) any suggestions for something a bit healthier would be great!

We just use a syringe - some of our boys actual take it from the syringe the others we just squirt it into their mouth.

The boy in question a a syringe phobic I'm afraid (ha ha ha) he's the squirmiest boy you've ever met!) everything is on his terms.. Ha ha (he's lovely though)

If you are able to pull down his lower chin and squirt small amounts at a time, that may work. If not, try organic unsweetened almond butter or last resort, Nutella. Nutella does have sugar in it, but it also has protein. I prefer organic unsweetened almond butter. Only use Nutella if your rat refuses the almond butter.
I hope this helps. I use a butter knife to mix it together, and put it on my finger (my rats know NOT to bite me, so be cautious if you have never done this). Otherwise let your baby lick it off the butter knife. (check the edges! I actually use a childs butter knife) If the edges seem jagged then use a spoon. My rats love both, but give it to your rat slowly. Its like eating peanut butter, so use the least amount possible to hide the doxy.
Best wishes,
Lorry

I agree with the other suggestions (I use rice baby cereal, banana or unsweetened apple sauce, and rice milk) but honestly when they are sick and it is give them their medicine in sugar or not get their medicine in them, I choose sugar. I had a rat who would only take meds in chocolate syrup--it's the lesser problem to have an unhealthy diet.

Don't know why I didn't think of this before. There are doxy shots, we've had them given to our boys, they last 7 days.

Back